• Please log in to reply
781 replies to this topic

#641 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:43 AM

Now that Gus has lost - Howard has his shot to take back the starting job. There is no doubt the wings brass wants him to be the guy going forward but need howard to justify his starts. Lets hope he takes this opportunity. I believe the best goalie should play so he needs to prove it.

He lost with 2 goals against on 39 shots, recently howie has been been doubling that, and that is just in the 3rd -ZING- point is Monster is without a doubt playing the best hockey of his NHL career so far, Howard quite the opposite so I keep giving the nod to Jonas IMO 

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#642 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:24 PM

Now that Gus has lost - Howard has his shot to take back the starting job. There is no doubt the wings brass wants him to be the guy going forward but need howard to justify his starts. Lets hope he takes this opportunity. I believe the best goalie should play so he needs to prove it.

While technically, yes, he got the loss, I would hardly say that Gus lost that game. He was about the only one on the team that seemed to be playing the game. Howard will get a start soon, but this absolutely won't derail any plans to not give Gus more starts. If Howard plays lights out hockey, that could change things, but I think we'll see a lot of back and forth for awhile until that actually happens.

-Elliot...does not panic.

#643 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:57 PM

He lost with 2 goals against on 39 shots, recently howie has been been doubling that, and that is just in the 3rd -ZING- point is Monster is without a doubt playing the best hockey of his NHL career so far, Howard quite the opposite so I keep giving the nod to Jonas IMO 

Howard needs to get a start on the road, against a poor team... Tuesday @ Florida would be a great time to start... He'll have a good goalie to duel against, a team rejuvenated with the return of Datsyuk, and a low-scoring team to get his confidence built back up. Then give Gus the start Thursday @ Tampa, and Saturday vs. Pittsburgh. Howie @ Tampa Sunday and then see what's happening. 

#644 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:16 PM

Howard needs to get a start on the road, against a poor team... Tuesday @ Florida would be a great time to start... He'll have a good goalie to duel against, a team rejuvenated with the return of Datsyuk, and a low-scoring team to get his confidence built back up. Then give Gus the start Thursday @ Tampa, and Saturday vs. Pittsburgh. Howie @ Tampa Sunday and then see what's happening. 

I think if howie wins tm we'll see him go against TB on thurs, if not we'll see Gus. Either way tho i think they'll play Gus vs Pitt.

#645 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,174 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:07 PM

I think if howie wins tm we'll see him go against TB on thurs, if not we'll see Gus. Either way tho i think they'll play Gus vs Pitt.

Good deductions lol. You think Howie will play, if not it will be Gus lol

#646 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:24 PM

Good deductions lol. You think Howie will play, if not it will be Gus lol

Well thats always the case isnt it? I just mean howie will only get ceonsecutive starts if he wins, otherwise it seems like against the good teams its gus' job to lose at this point.

#647 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,174 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:22 AM

Well thats always the case isnt it? I just mean howie will only get ceonsecutive starts if he wins, otherwise it seems like against the good teams its gus' job to lose at this point.

I was amused by your wording. You pulled a Babcock. We only have two goalies, and you basically said if one goalie doesn't play, the other will.

#648 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:26 AM

I was amused by your wording. You pulled a Babcock. We only have two goalies, and you basically said if one goalie doesn't play, the other will.

Well in that case i'll take it as a compliment lol

#649 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,455 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:36 PM

http://sports.yahoo....00582--nhl.html

Howard is #1 in Detroit, I agree with what this guy is saying... in fact, I've said most of it at one time or another.  ;)

I love Monster, too, don't get me wrong - but he's the back up. 

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#650 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:00 PM

Howard is #1 in Detroit, I agree with what this guy is saying... in fact, I've said most of it at one time or another.  ;)

Just wait until Mrázek gets up here. He will give Jimmy a run for his money

#651 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:08 PM

Well it is written by a high school student who has Howard on his fantasy team.  :lol:

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#652 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:08 PM

Just wait until Mrázek gets up here. He will give Jimmy a run for his money

At this rate a shooter trainer would give jimmy a run for his money. That said, i have high hopes for mrazek as well.

Anyone else think after Gus' big season he'll go somewhere else for a starting job/more money?

#653 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:13 PM

At this rate a shooter trainer would give jimmy a run for his money. That said, i have high hopes for mrazek as well.

Anyone else think after Gus' big season he'll go somewhere else for a starting job/more money?

Nah, I bet (and hope) he resigns for around 1.8-2m.  I don't see Mrazek riding the bench for 50 games.  Besides what's the rush with him??

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#654 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:12 AM

If he keeps up this stellar performance there are will for sure be a market for him.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#655 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:40 AM

Mrazek's only 21. Gotta think Monster will have 2-4 more years here in the D, unless we end up going with Petr over Jimmy

#656 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:46 PM

Time to bump this thread with an Update...

***This isn’t just a reaction to the game today but rather Howie’s season as a whole.***

Here is how Howard ranks in some categories. (as of 3/9/14)

Wins:                     30th with 13 wins......Top 19 goalies all have 20+ wins

Overtime Loses:    1st with 10 (yes 10! overtime loses, not good)

GAA:                      40th (after taking out a few guys who played less than 10 games)

SV%:                      40th (again subtracted the guys with less than 10 games)

So what we have is a goalie who is CURRENTLY 30th-40th in terms of numbers compared to other NHL Goalies and has the most overtime/SO loses (meaning he isn't very clutch when the time comes).

I stressed Currently because you can argue about what he did in the past or what he might do in the future, but RIGHT NOW he is not very good. and nowhere near ELITE, unless you consider being the 30th best goalie in the league elite!

30th-40th doesn't even get you to Average, Thread title should now be Howard = Well Below Average

And I understand that it's not 100% his fault, the rest of the team has some impact on these numbers, but that only gets you so far. I mean Ryan Miller was putting up better numbers in BUF and they have a really s***ty team.

Most of the other goalies in the league have to deal with:

the same kind of bounces

the same kind of deflections and

to some extent the same times when your offense doesn't show up that Howie faces, so that's no excuse for his #'s being so low.

Bottom Line, we need better goaltending if our team isn’t going to be scoring too many goals, Howard just isn’t getting the job done.

*Important* Just because some of us posters are criticizing his game doesn't mean we are rooting for him to play poorly.  I sincerely hope he turns it around and has some good games and if he does I'd be more than willing to applaud him for it.

I'm not trying to bash on Howard or place the team's struggles solely on him, but given his current #'s the criticism is warranted and a discussion about where the team should go at the Goalie position moving forward is also warranted. I'm more than willing to give him the time to prove himself again but if he is still struggling like this through some portion of next season then a decision is going to have to be made regarding his future with the team.

Edited by roboturner, 09 March 2014 - 03:47 PM.

This might be getting a little heated. Just know I don't hate any of you guys.

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

:bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1:

#657 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:52 PM

There was some discussion in the GDT today about his rebound control and puck handling skills having an affect on the outcome of games. There HAS to be a reason why the team scores about 1 goal per game more in front of monster than howard. Often times I see a soft dump in that howie steers to the corner where the dman has to dig it out while the forecheck comes hard on them. Monster seems more capable of controlling that puck and settling it down for the dman to break out of the zone and defeat the forecheck. Thats just what I see. We seem to get trapped in our zone less. Howard also tends (in my opinion) to leave rebounds out on top of his crease that lead to mad scrambles in front of the net (especially in the last minutes of periods) whereas Monster has kicked more rebounds out wide or absorbed them. 

Worst of all I have seen howard give up on plays in 2 recent games where it lead directly to a goal (once in NJ). If anything, when down on your luck you should put in a full effort to give yourself a shot at success.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#658 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:59 PM

Howard = Our starter for the next few years. 

This thread gets bumped after every hot and cold streak out of Howard. It's the same debate back and forth, over and over. 

The goalie is the easiest player to blame on the ice. Today was the defense, most will disagree and argue anyway. I wonder how much more original discussion can be brought up here or if it should be renamed "The Jimmy Howard Complaining Thread". 

Monster is injured, that means more Howard going forward. Like it or hate it, there aren't many options right now. 

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#659 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:33 PM

There was some discussion in the GDT today about his rebound control and puck handling skills having an affect on the outcome of games. There HAS to be a reason why the team scores about 1 goal per game more in front of monster than howard. Often times I see a soft dump in that howie steers to the corner where the dman has to dig it out while the forecheck comes hard on them. Monster seems more capable of controlling that puck and settling it down for the dman to break out of the zone and defeat the forecheck. Thats just what I see. We seem to get trapped in our zone less. Howard also tends (in my opinion) to leave rebounds out on top of his crease that lead to mad scrambles in front of the net (especially in the last minutes of periods) whereas Monster has kicked more rebounds out wide or absorbed them. 

Worst of all I have seen howard give up on plays in 2 recent games where it lead directly to a goal (once in NJ). If anything, when down on your luck you should put in a full effort to give yourself a shot at success.

Yeah I agree with all of this. It just seems like after 5 years in the league someone could have worked with him after practice or something so he would at least have some kind of passing game. I would add that he holds onto a lot of playable pucks that end up giving great scoring chances when we lose the ensuing face-off. If he played it a bit more there would be fewer face-offs for that kind of stuff to happen and we might be able to catch someone on a bad line change.

Howard = Our starter for the next few years. 

This thread gets bumped after every hot and cold streak out of Howard. It's the same debate back and forth, over and over. 

The goalie is the easiest player to blame on the ice. Today was the defense, most will disagree and argue anyway. I wonder how much more original discussion can be brought up here or if it should be renamed "The Jimmy Howard Complaining Thread". 

Monster is injured, that means more Howard going forward. Like it or hate it, there aren't many options right now. 

That's why I said this isn't just a reaction to a single recent game but a look at his stats for the whole season. It was maybe a reaction to the last goal where he looked ridiculous. But mostly it was to looking at his ranking compared to other NHL Goalies. I was just kind of shocked to see he was ranked so low in most categories. I don't see how it would be beneficial to the Wings to keep playing a Goalie who ranks so low in so many categories.

This might be getting a little heated. Just know I don't hate any of you guys.

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

:bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1:

#660 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:50 PM

He's not one of the elite guys but he isn't being paid like one either. Mrazek might eventually be better but for now there aren't many better options.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!