• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wings7

Definition of a real fan

Rate this topic

Having watched the Wings since about 1955, even during the dead years, I consider myself to be a fan. But I am first of all a fan of Hockey. That being said, My favorite team is the Red Wings. If the wings aren't playing, I will still be watching a game and rooting for one of the teams. If that means I'm not a "true" fan, so be it!

Ok, I am game.

My definition and attitude towards fandom have changed through the years. Before, I always thought a fan was someone who supported the team through thick and thin. Now, I believe a fan is someone who enjoys watching said team. No more, no less.

Lets face facts here, we all want to say we are going to be fans of the Wings for life. Things change. Teams change. In another 20 years, this team may be the dead things again. Then most of us will go elsewhere and be fans of other teams. Some may stick around through the thin times, but I don't blame anyone who won't support a team that has a major downturn.

I know many Chicago fans that stopped supporting the Blackhawks because of what the previous owners were doing to the team. The blackouts, bad business decisions, and really just giving a big middle finger to the fans was a tough pill to swallow. Many just abandoned the Blackhawks and supported other teams. When the owner passed away and his son took over, he made major changes that brought the fans back.

These days, fandom isn't forever. People change. Sports clubs change. We all won't be Wings fans for life. Some of us may stick with the team, but I don't have an issue with people moving on from one team to support another.

Be a fan of whatever team you would like. Support the right team with your time and money. Thats what it all comes down to.

A real fan?

You stick by your team through the good and the ugly, I sometimes wonder if some people on this forum remember the "Dead Wings" era. I loved this team during the dark 80's, was spoiled in the 90's, and will watch them lose before I dare root for another team. Am I a "real fan"? I don't know but I'm a Red Wings fan.

Guest Playmaker

Ok, I am game.

My definition and attitude towards fandom have changed through the years. Before, I always thought a fan was someone who supported the team through thick and thin. Now, I believe a fan is someone who enjoys watching said team. No more, no less.

Lets face facts here, we all want to say we are going to be fans of the Wings for life. Things change. Teams change. In another 20 years, this team may be the dead things again. Then most of us will go elsewhere and be fans of other teams. Some may stick around through the thin times, but I don't blame anyone who won't support a team that has a major downturn.

I know many Chicago fans that stopped supporting the Blackhawks because of what the previous owners were doing to the team. The blackouts, bad business decisions, and really just giving a big middle finger to the fans was a tough pill to swallow. Many just abandoned the Blackhawks and supported other teams. When the owner passed away and his son took over, he made major changes that brought the fans back.

These days, fandom isn't forever. People change. Sports clubs change. We all won't be Wings fans for life. Some of us may stick with the team, but I don't have an issue with people moving on from one team to support another.

Be a fan of whatever team you would like. Support the right team with your time and money. Thats what it all comes down to.

This reminds me of the Seinfeld episode about "fandom" where he basically said all that you're really cheering for is clothes. I can see for younger fans how it would be tough. There's very little or no loyalty with the players or the owners anymore. Again, Detroit fans are spoiled because so few players leave or are traded (I know many don't see that as a good thing) But we get plenty of time to form an attachment to the players and not many long term players leave to free agency or are traded.

There may be a time in the future where the ownership is horrible and there's a lousy product on the ice and I may not like what they do, but I can't see transferring my fandom to another team. I like players on other teams and respect other organizations, but couldn't see it going farther than that.

We are all fans of the patch on the front of the jersey. Yet, there are players that don that jersey that some just don't like. I have been a fan since 1979 (9 years old) and remember well the "dead wings" the "cant win the big game" and the "lose every year in round 1" Wings teams as well. Just because you are an old timer who likes the game the way it was, or if you are someone who doesn't know anything about Red Wings Hockey prior to 1997 or for some 2002. We are ALL fans, and fans, whether watching through rose colored glasses or fans that criticize their least favorite players or coaches or GM's or as simple as a line combo or starting goalie, we are all still fans of this team.

I can look over the last 30 years of players on this team and can come up with at least 5 or 6 players I could not/cannot stand. Most of you know them well, but even when a player shows up that you may not like nor enjoy watching, and you talk (very) harshly of that said player, it doesn't mean you aren't a fan of the team, nor don't want the team to do well even though said player is still playing on the team. I firmly believe that even though being able to ***** about the bad and cheer for the good doesn't make either side a "better" fan, but I do feel that having conversations with the "critical" fan makes for a more enjoyable fan experience. I maintain it would pretty boring if all "fans" just licked the ice the team skated on and had nothing to say but that "nothing the Wings do is wrong, no mistakes are huge, no one does anything wrong because they are Red Wings..." But even that "fan" is a "fan." Informed fans are awesome to talk hockey with, but still doesn't mean they are "real" or not. Just because someone didn't think Lidstrom was the be all end all in the world, doesn't mean they aren't a fan. As well, just because someone thinks Hudler is Omnipotent, doesn't mean they aren't a fan either...of course he is pretty popular in Calgary right now. I still don't miss him, but that doesn't mean that I didn't wish the Wings would win when he was here...

...as much as I cannot stand Franzen and Howard (amongst others) I still want the Wings to make the playoffs every year and get a chance to win the Cup every year whether they play or someone else plays. Yes, even folks that say "tank it" are fans.

Go Wings!

To me it's very simple a real fan is someone who is sticking with his team through thick and thin, the good and the bad times. The problem is, some people are confusing the term real fan with fanboy but they aren't the same. A fanboy will go out of his ways both verbally to defend every move his chosen does make or doesn't make while a real fan will look at things more rationally and also criticize some moves if he feels it's justified.

So basically a real fan is the opposite of a bandwagoner.

To me it's very simple a real fan is someone who is sticking with his team through thick and thin, the good and the bad times. The problem is, some people are confusing the term real fan with fanboy but they aren't the same. A fanboy will go out of his ways both verbally to defend every move his chosen does make or doesn't make while a real fan will look at things more rationally and also criticize some moves if he feels it's justified.

So basically a real fan is the opposite of a bandwagoner.

I think most people here who complain do stick with the team through think and thin. Otherwise, they'd stop posting, because they'd have stopped watching this mediocre team by now. The fact that they post means they still watch and care.

Then again, the two greatest philosophers in history were both pessimists, so I'm all for it.

I think most people here who complain do stick with the team through think and thin. Otherwise, they'd stop posting, because they'd have stopped watching this mediocre team by now. The fact that they post means they still watch and care.

Then again, the two greatest philosophers in history were both pessimists, so I'm all for it.

I know this was more of a general assumption on what I understand under the term real fan.

Personally I couldn't care less if others believe I'm a real fan or not. It's well know that I think the team is way too soft, doesn't have the right mixture between Euros and NA players and Holland - for my liking - has been way too passive after Hossa basically offered himself to play here. BUT like a lot of others have said some players on this team have provided me with so much joy over the years (sadly only 3 are remaining and one has completely lost his physicality...) and Ilitch is the best owner in all of sports so I'll for sure stick through the bad times, although I would at least hope for a more entertaining product because this Wings edition is playing a very boring style of hockey..almost Chicagolike just with a lot less skill.

Real fans cheer for the Wings. They want all the players to do well. They're allowed to get frustrated when players aren't good enough. They'll allowed to be boastful when they've got a superstar.

Big E. used to annoy the hell out of me, and I loathed him. I complained about him, wanted him traded, etc... But when he'd score, make a great play, or drop the gloves for us, I'd cheer him on, because he's a Red Wing, and I am a fan.

Part of the fun is caring. It's why I can't watch most sports games where a Detroit team isn't playing, because I simply need to be invested for it to be entertaining.

Well, we all love the Wings. I live and die with theses guys, always have, always will. If they go out in the playoffs, I actively cheer against teams (Chicago, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Anaheim, Montreal) but never cheer for other teams. That's just me though.

I think it's OK to be critical of the team and players when things are rough, you just have to keep it in perspective. Is it great we clinched last night? Of course. Did I celebrate? No we lost the game on a horrible goal. Come Game 1 though I'll be full of piss and vinegar wearing wings apparel staring at the TV until the game ends. "Real fan" is a bad term IMO, if you're a fan, then you're a fan. Otherwise you wouldn't be on here posting right? (Except for that dips*** Minny fan who posted on here for like half a year posing as a Wings fan until Suter and Parise signed with the Wild but I digress because I don't wanna get banned before the playoffs... :ninja: )

I have a Red Wings banner hanging in my room. Wear a Red Wings hat everywhere. Have a Datsyuk winter classic jersey from the big house. And a logo on my back window of my car.

Only 1 logo on your back window? You won't be considered a real fan until you can't see out of your back window due to a giant Cleary fathead.

Edited by wings87

Can we just agree that none of the mods here are "real fans"?

I mean, Harold is a Kings fan/slappy and the rest of the mods never post anymore. Obviously, they couldn't handle the mediocrity of this team.

We are still here, but we lurk behind closed doors and meddle in new ways to unfairly single out the ones we don't like and torture them as much as possible. It's followed by at least a 3 hour session in front of the mirror flexing our muscles and telling each other how tough we are.

Then we laugh. Hard.

On topic, i'm pleasantly stunned by how well you little whipper snappers are handling yourselves in this thread, Carry on.

Also Jimmy, thanks for the reminder, your new sig is incoming.

sir-bobby-robson-what-is-a-club-quote.jp

Yeah it's soccer, but that sums it up for me. You do fall in love with teams, often through no fault of your own - you're taken by a parent or (in my case) you stay up as an 11 year old and watch hockey at gone-midnight on some low-budget UK tv channel. And it's often for no apparent reason. You don't really say "oh I like their uniform so I'll support them", it just seems to happen. But in all facets of love you can be disappointed. Some people react differently - some shout, some try to ignore and move on, some lose hope. Personally, I'm English, but cannot support English football. For a long while I stopped supporting English rugby for the same reason - I'd lost touch. I couldn't associate with they way they were going about the game and I felt disillusioned. The same may yet happen with the Red Wings.

But the main thing is, as in love, I won't move on to another team just because "I like [sport x]". If my partner disappointed me I wouldn't shout and then go out with their friend the next day. I'd be annoyed but eventually I'd get over it.

Who knows, if it was Boston or New Jersey that was being shown on tv when I was a kid maybe I'd be over on their boards. But then I'd probably be crying and shouting.

Yeah it's soccer, but that sums it up for me. You do fall in love with teams, often through no fault of your own - you're taken by a parent or (in my case) you stay up as an 11 year old and watch hockey at gone-midnight on some low-budget UK tv channel. And it's often for no apparent reason. You don't really say "oh I like their uniform so I'll support them", it just seems to happen. But in all facets of love you can be disappointed. Some people react differently - some shout, some try to ignore and move on, some lose hope. Personally, I'm English, but cannot support English football. For a long while I stopped supporting English rugby for the same reason - I'd lost touch. I couldn't associate with they way they were going about the game and I felt disillusioned. The same may yet happen with the Red Wings.

But the main thing is, as in love, I won't move on to another team just because "I like [sport x]". If my partner disappointed me I wouldn't shout and then go out with their friend the next day. I'd be annoyed but eventually I'd get over it.

Who knows, if it was Boston or New Jersey that was being shown on tv when I was a kid maybe I'd be over on their boards. But then I'd probably be crying and shouting.

Even if it's soccer that's a great summarize. I'm with you in terms of soccer I just can't support that crap anymore, leagues are owned by corporations, dictated by the UEFA/FIFA mafia and clubs are selling out to the suits and idiots that don't care about homegrown talent, tradition or integrity tl:dr I hate that sport.

Yeah I'm going the same way with football. I support Leeds United so seeing them get raped and pillaged time after time by crooks and dodgy businessmen who couldn't care less is wearing me down.

Am I a real Red Wing fan? I've only been following them for a couple of years but I'm already pretty invested. Now I find myself cheering for other Detroit teams. I guess only time will tell but I plan to be here for the long haul!