• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FireCaptain

9 (NINE!) player trade involving Phanuef

Rate this topic

I thought it deserved its own thread... Crazy trade

Ottawa Senators @Senators 12m12 minutes ago

#Sens get Phaneuf, Frattin, Bailey, Rupert and Donaghey in exchange for Cowen, Greening, Michalek, Lindberg and 2nd-rounder in 2017.

Ottawa Senators @Senators 11m11 minutes ago

One additional note: no salary will be retained by either team over the trade’s entirety.

No Phanuef is good but all I can think is that the Leafs are making room for Stammer.

They've been trying to trade Phaneuf for two years now. Why would they trade for stamkos at the deadline when they have no chance of making the playoffs? Why wouldn't they wait till the off-season and sign him?

Not saying it's not possible but it doesn't make sense. They'd have to give up a lot to get stamkos and that would completely unravel everything shanny is trying to do in Toronto. It would end up being the same thing every other gm there does, salivate and the opportunity to trade for a big star trade everything away for it, start the rebuild over. Rinse and repeat for another 20 years.

They've been trying to trade Phaneuf for two years now. Why would they trade for stamkos at the deadline when they have no chance of making the playoffs? Why wouldn't they wait till the off-season and sign him?

Not saying it's not possible but it doesn't make sense. They'd have to give up a lot to get stamkos and that would completely unravel everything shanny is trying to do in Toronto. It would end up being the same thing every other gm there does, salivate and the opportunity to trade for a big star trade everything away for it, start the rebuild over. Rinse and repeat for another 20 years.

"Making room for Stammer" doesn't necessarily mean acquiring at the deadline, he probably meant making more cap space.

Saw a tweet that said they'll have $29 million next season.

Can't imagine he was talking about a trade this season since it doesn't free up any immediate cap space.

Tons after next season though.

Great trade for the Leafs in the long-term. Good trade for Ottawa for this season and next.

No Phanuef is good but all I can think is that the Leafs are making room for Stammer.

IMO....i can't see Stammer choosing to play for Babs. I think superstars tend not to want to get into situations where their new coach has no bones about doing any of the following.....running him into the ground and making him practice like a rookie fighting for a roster spot day-in and day-out, leaving him out to dry in the press, getting in his famous "dog house"...typical Babs stuff (which is NOT bad...just Babs style). Stammer is in the drivers seat in every way. He'll have lots of options. Lots of better options in terms of chances of winning a cup sooner rather than later. I just don't think superstars want to tolerate Babs style if they've got other options. I know he's played under Babs with the Olympics, but I consider that a completely non-related situation. He HAD to play for Babs in the Olympics. The Olympics are more about representing your country out of duty and pride, rather than playing 80+ games every year.

I still get a chuckle how while a Blackhawk - Chelios bashed Detroit every chance he got...We all know what happened back in '99.

Cruise ahead to the 10:50 mark...Pure gold.

Good point. They figured he was done and traded him to Detroit in exchange for sour face.

IMO....i can't see Stammer choosing to play for Babs. I think superstars tend not to want to get into situations where their new coach has no bones about doing any of the following.....running him into the ground and making him practice like a rookie fighting for a roster spot day-in and day-out, leaving him out to dry in the press, getting in his famous "dog house"...typical Babs stuff (which is NOT bad...just Babs style). Stammer is in the drivers seat in every way. He'll have lots of options. Lots of better options in terms of chances of winning a cup sooner rather than later. I just don't think superstars want to tolerate Babs style if they've got other options. I know he's played under Babs with the Olympics, but I consider that a completely non-related situation. He HAD to play for Babs in the Olympics. The Olympics are more about representing your country out of duty and pride, rather than playing 80+ games every year.

A lot of what your saying is pure speculation and conspiracy theories people have come up with about Babcock. I've never heard of anyone except Mike Commodore b**** about Babs. He's just a stern coach but so was Bowman. And I never saw any Detroit superstar mistreated by Babs (Pav, Hank, Lidstrom) so I'm not sure about this whole dog house theory for Stamkos.

Toronto found a dance partner that didn't ask Toronto to eat some of Phaneuf's salary. Good for them.

Babcock and Lamoriello played the "inflate a player's performance so we can get more from a trade" perfectly.

Looks like we'll be the first to welcome Phaneuf in a Sens jersey on Wed.

Edited by RedWingsRox