• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FireCaptain

Holland (selfishly) declined promotion

Rate this topic

I didn't see anyone mentioning this bombshell.

Dear ol' Kenny was asked to take a different job so as to keep The Captain with the team as GM. He declined.

WTF!!

When Steve Yzerman left the front office to manage the Lightning, Mike Ilitch said he had approached Holland about moving up in the front office to make room for Yzerman as general manager.

Ilitch said Holland declined.

Now, Holland’s tasks are formidable and mounting, and his joke several seasons ago that Lidstrom’s retirement might hasten his own is less humorous.

He faces fierce urgency in a hot kitchen, likely to get only hotter.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/opinion/columnists/gregg-krupa/2016/04/22/krupa-holland-needs-deal-way-out-wings-morass/83406300/

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2016/4/23/11493464/report-ken-holland-declined-making-steve-yzerman-red-wings-general-manager

Stevie has often been described as the Illitch's kid from another mother. Surely out of respect for the Illitchs, you seriously consider the offer.

However, in hindsight, this is before KH's recent buffoonery, so it's a little easier to light the pitchforks on fire and wonder "what if" now that we have all the facts.

I guess I don't get the big deal about this. Why should someone have to stop doing a job they love for someone else's career?

Why is this a story today? This has been common knowledge for years now.

Hockeytown media is stirring things up. I posted this headline in another thread too. Old news being brought up again. With the way the season ended, stuff like this is bound to happen.

Edited by kickazz

Hockeytown media is stirring things up. I posted this headline in another thread too. Old news being brought up again. With the way the season ended, stuff like this is bound to happen.

Anyone else think they're slowly inching closer to Toronto media? Not that our media is even close to there but man, they're starting to be annoying at times :x

They only get negative when there's blood in the water. They've spent years acting like Holland's every word was gospel. They did the same with Babcock, never question him until it looked like he was on his way out, then all of a sudden he's not The Best Coach EVER anymore

Anyone else think they're slowly inching closer to Toronto media? Not that our media is even close to there but man, they're starting to be annoying at times :x

This is what happens when you have a team getting worse. It will continue for a while.

Not even close to Toronto media.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did say not that we're even close.. But it does seem to be trending that way.

This is what happens when you have a team getting worse. It will continue for a while.

And yeahh, agreed.

Hopefully it's over sooner rather than later (the getting worse, that is)

Of course this is brought up now.

When Holland was asked that question he had the reputation one of of best GM's in hockey and lead a dynasty. I remember when it was time for Yzerman to either become our GM or move on and it just wasn't time for Stevie yet here. Hindsight is 20/20 but would have a super green Yzerman been able to weather the storm more then Holland?

Hmmm I did not realize that happened. I'm kind of annoyed. I'd probably rather have, Yzerman, just because he's so active down in Tampa. Meanwhile, Kenny's signing aging veterans and "kicking tires". Having said that though, aside from Ben Bishop, none of the players Yzerman has picked up via trade or UFA has been very impactful. Lecavalier and St Louis left on his watch and it looks like Stamkos will be next. He and Drouin seems to be at odds too. Hedman's a UFA next summer. Now not all of these are his fault, but he's building a reputation as a guy that can't work well with star players.

Of course this is brought up now.

When Holland was asked that question he had the reputation one of of best GM's in hockey and lead a dynasty. I remember when it was time for Yzerman to either become our GM or move on and it just wasn't time for Stevie yet here. Hindsight is 20/20 but would have a super green Yzerman been able to weather the storm more then Holland?

Yes, he would have. He built something in TB while Holland fiddled in Detroit.

We still had Jim Nill in the organization then too.

It's this kind of reporting that I'm glad I don't live in the same market as the teams I cheer for. I can take a break from everything if I want to.

Edited by Barrie

Yes, he would have. He built something in TB while Holland fiddled in Detroit.

I don't believe that for a second. There has been comparisons over Holland and Yzerman in almost every thread since Thursday, I suggest you look at what Yzerman has actually "built" in Tampa vs what Holland has in Detroit.