Breakdown...

16-17 3M /1M bonus

17-18 5m /500k bonus

18-19 5m /500k bonus

19-20 5m /500k bonus

20-21 4.5m

21-22 4.5m /500k bonus

3 year NTC from 17-18 through 19-20.

Last year and a half of contract is modified NTC (10 team list).

Hah

Lol people on twitter calling it "the next Ericsson contract".

Smh

Ridiculous, as many of us know. Barring injuries I can guarantee he will rightfully defend his salary and belong in the top 4 of this team. I am fine with 5m x 6y.

Edited by Jacksoni

No one here yet... a lot of backlash on Twitter though...

Unfortunately a large portion of the Red Wings fanbase have become insufferable. There is literally nothing to complain about with this deal at all. 5 million per season for a dman of his calibre coming into his prime is as ideal as it gets. Some ***** at the term, but he'll be only 32 when the deal is up. I see no issue.

I'm not going to moan about it, but it is more than I was thinking he is worth, but exactly what I expected he'd get. Someone above mentioned that this is the going rate for a 2nd pairing guy, but I'm not sure that's the case....I think there is 15 or so teams in the league that have either no guys or only 1 D man making more than $5M...some have 2, less have 3.

I always seem to be surprised at the length and the $ amounts of the deals that Kenny puts together, I guess it's a bit of a risk he normally takes....some work out really well and others don't. DD is still young enough that the length won't be an issue and I guess Kenny is hoping the deal will look better towards the end of the deal vs today.

I just read up more on this deal. It's actually better than expected since it contains bonus clauses, without them Danny is at 27 million. Here's the breakdown.

16-17 3M /1M bonus
17-18 5m /500k bonus
18-19 5m /500k bonus
19-20 5m /500k bonus
20-21 4.5m
21-22 4.5m /500k bonus

I'm not going to moan about it, but it is more than I was thinking he is worth, but exactly what I expected he'd get. Someone above mentioned that this is the going rate for a 2nd pairing guy, but I'm not sure that's the case....I think there is 15 or so teams in the league that have either no guys or only 1 D man making more than $5M...some have 2, less have 3.

I always seem to be surprised at the length and the $ amounts of the deals that Kenny puts together, I guess it's a bit of a risk he normally takes....some work out really well and others don't. DD is still young enough that the length won't be an issue and I guess Kenny is hoping the deal will look better towards the end of the deal vs today.

Gotta imagine a lot of these second pairing dmen making under 5 mil are probably on a contract signed when they had a lot of RFA years left. Complete speculation of course, but this was the deal to prevent him from going UFA next summer. He'd have made at least 5 mil had he hit the open market next summer.

Yeah, but at the end of the day it's caphit that matters.

Gotta imagine a lot of these second pairing dmen making under 5 mil are probably on a contract signed when they had a lot of RFA years left. Complete speculation of course, but this was the deal to prevent him from going UFA next summer. He'd have made at least 5 mil had he hit the open market next summer.

Agreed, had he gone to arbitration he would have gotten 1 year and something a bit lower and we would have ended up having to re-sign him right before he hit free agency and who knows what we would have had to pay at that point.. $6 million? $7 million? Cap's going up yearly it seems and so are these wacky market values.

Edited by kickazz

Yeah, but at the end of the day it's caphit that matters.

Agreed, had he gone to arbitration he would have gotten 1 year and something a bit lower and we would have ended up having to re-sign him right before he hit free agency and who knows what we would have had to pay at that point.. $6 million? $7 million? Cap's going up yearly it seems and so are these wacky market values.

He would have gotten more than 5 per year at shorter term, making this deal decently good at the very least.

Let's buckle up here. We are short on quality defenders. DeKeyser was a late bloomer who signed with us at 23, he was not drafted. Lidström recently (I think may 2016) in an interview said that Danny has the goods to be a great defenseman. Good enough for me. For a few years at least.