• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Red Wings sign D Trevor Daley to 3 year, 3.166m/yr contract, includes NTC/Modified NTC.

Rate this topic

It's acceptable, if Kronner or any other defenseman isn't going to play for a big chunk of the season. I like his skillset and what I read about his locker room presence.

I also don't have a problem with the NTC, it's what you pay for a relatively cheap contract for a 33y old defenseman.

Edited by derblaueClaus

I was hoping we'd get him.  One of the few reasons I didn't throw things when Pissburgh won again.  (Cullen being the other.)
Reasonable contract, I'd say, all things considered.  We've been begging Holland to give us help on the D and he did.
Witkowski will be playing F, but can play D if needed when/if injuries arise.

At least we got the modified NTC for the final year, when we could possibly be sellers for Daley's contract...

Not thrilled by this signing, but not disgusted by it either.  I'm just concerned about the possible backlog of Jensen/Ouellet/Sproul if our 1-5 is healthy.

6 minutes ago, derblaueClaus said:

Not so sure about his shot, but he is a good passer.

Great skater as well, even at the age of 33. Could be a good mentor for Jensen, as they're similar players. Could also be a good partner for Ouellet, as Ouellet is...not the greatest skater.

I think he could really help our power play. If he takes Kronwall's place there, that alone could be huge. I mean, we're probably not making the playoffs either way, but I think we all want to see this team score more goals.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/daley-will-make-re-building-red-wings-better-on-and-off-the-ice

It’s expected Daley will play on a pairing with Dan DeKeyser next season, with Niklas Kronwall and Mike Green making up the other top-four duo. The fact that the Red Wings were able to get Daley on a three-year contract with a cap hit of just under $3.2 million is a definitive upgrade.

“We have to get the puck up to our forwards,” Holland told THN.com after the signing was made official. “And we think Trevor Daley can help us do that. He’s a guy who can get back to the puck and transport it. And I think with his skating ability, his age at 33 isn’t as big a concern.”

The Red Wings hired former NHLer Shawn Horcoff as their director of player development last year and Horcoff, who played two seasons with Daley as a member of the Dallas Stars, lauded his value as a teammate both on and off the ice. Daley’s character is unquestioned and he will fit into the Detroit dressing room seamlessly.

But it’s his ability as a puck-moving defenseman that will be most valued by the Red Wings. The Pittsburgh Penguins, with whom Daley won two Stanley Cups, really felt his absence when he was out of the lineup for four games during the playoffs. With the exception of a 16-goal, 38-point performance when he was in Dallas, Daley has never been a huge offensive producer, but he’s capable of producing 20 points and start the plays that lead to goals, even if his name doesn’t appear on the scoresheet.

Meh. He's 34 soon, but it's only three years, not huge money and gives the D more experience. What scares me is that Kronwall will be half of the second pairing. Hope that's only temporary until someone else steps up. If they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, shocky2002 said:

I JUST SAW SOMEONE ON TWITTER TOUT HIS CUP EXPERIENCE AS A GOOD REASON TO SIGN HIM. AAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Please don't post in all caps like a kid that just caught his first Pikachu in Pokemon Go. 

I don't see much use for Daley outside of veteran leadership and helping us possibly squeak into a last place playoff seed for a first round elimination. Maybe they are in the mindset of at least making playoffs again temporarily for the sake of the new arena. 

I hate to be bitter like this, but it's just how I honestly feel right now. We need to focus on youth and development, see what we have and who will be in the roster long term. 

The Cap doesn't matter to Holland when doing his offseason work it seems. And he's not alone in doing this. Some GMs sign and worry later. Can always waive a good young player or two to make room for a veteran. Lol

Maybe Holland started enjoying Canada Day with some Crown Royal a little early this year :drunk:

Drunken Canada Day golf. Should have left his cell phone at home.

"Did you know you traded a perfectly good draft pick to Calgary to get that waste of space McCollum back yesterday Ken???!!!!" What...the...f***???!!!!!

"Sorry Chris, the liquor was in control."

Old guy, check.
Multiple years, at least one year too long, check
Prevents a younger player from getting a spot, Check

Typical Holland deal

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

Never sign a player to a multi year deal that takes him past 35. Wheels fall off before then. Yes, he can skate now. By year 2 or 3 probably not so much.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

At least Stevie was smart enough to only give two years to Girardi.
another awful ntc multi year contract handed out to a vet with injury issues, courtesy of Mr. Holland.

Holland included a NTC? Hahaha He loves throwing those in. Daley probably said no deal until he mentioned that. Then again, after one season in Detroit he'll probably waive it in a second at the deadline.

I have to say, I am quite surprised by the lack of rage regarding this deal. Sounds like this is a deal nobody "loves" but nobody outside of the usually cynical "hate" it.

I would have preferred to let the kids play, but the more I read about it the more I'm becoming ok with it. Would look a lot better if guys like E, Kronwall, etc. were not under contract.

Edited by kliq

34 minutes ago, kliq said:

I have to say, I am quite surprised by the lack of rage regarding this deal. Sounds like this is a deal nobody "loves" but nobody outside of the usually cynical "hate" it.

I would have preferred to let the kids play, but the more I read about it the more I'm becoming ok with it. Would look a lot better if guys like E, Kronwall, etc. were not under contract.

I don't hate it just because I remember how bad our D got last season after injuries, and it's not fun watching your squad embarrass themselves night after night while our goalie gets peppered with shots from open players. At the very least, Daley is a serviceable defender who gives us one more somewhat reliable player on the back end.

19 minutes ago, MabusIncarnate said:

I don't hate it just because I remember how bad our D got last season after injuries, and it's not fun watching your squad embarrass themselves night after night while our goalie gets peppered with shots from open players. At the very least, Daley is a serviceable defender who gives us one more somewhat reliable player on the back end.

You think Daley is gong to help do anything other than make it more likely to miss the draft lottery and get blown out in the first round?