• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2017 Draft

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, Richdg said:

Guys you all need to relax. This is a good pick. For those that have been around here for a while you know I am not a big fan of Holland. But he has drafted well in the 1st round the last 5 years. Mantha, Larkin, Svechnikov, Cholowski-the one pick I disagree with, and now Rass. That is a pretty good run. Yes everyone has their favs and players they dislike. There were no 0 nadda superstars in this draft. McKenzie said it several times tonight: this draft doesn't have any future Hart or Norris trophy winners in it.

So who is Micheal Rasmussen? Yes he is 6-5/220. He is a LHed shot. he scored 30 goals in 52 games before breaking his wrist. He loves to play 15ft in out in front of the net. He will drop the gloves with anyone and win. Yes he needs 3 years to be ready. The question is-and this is true of everyone, who does he become? Is he the next Keith Premiau or the next Eric Daze? No one knows. My last posts-3 or 4 days ago I said we should take Rasmussen or Foote, but thought we would go with Vesilinan (spelling). That is 4 of the last 5 drafts that my final thoughts were correct.

Now look down the road 5 years. Our top 6 are: Mantha, Larkin, AA, Svechnikov, G Smith, and Rasmussen. That is a very good group. It has everything you need. Size, speed, skill, toughness, snipers, now a front of net guy. The only problem with this group is they are all LHed.

I cannot believe Richdg is the most rational guy on this thread right now. Well said, I agree with most of what you're saying and t he future players - Mantha, Larkin, AA, Svech, Smith and Rasmussen is a great VARIETY and fills a lot of needs. It's not just 5 players that are small wingers. It covers each part of an important squad from speed, to shoot, to size, to special teams, to playmaking, to penalty killing. 

Guys you all need to relax. This is a good pick. For those that have been around here for a while you know I am not a big fan of Holland. But he has drafted well in the 1st round the last 5 years. Mantha, Larkin, Svechnikov, Cholowski-the one pick I disagree with, and now Rass. That is a pretty good run. Yes everyone has their favs and players they dislike. There were no 0 nadda superstars in this draft. McKenzie said it several times tonight: this draft doesn't have any future Hart or Norris trophy winners in it.
So who is Micheal Rasmussen? Yes he is 6-5/220. He is a LHed shot. he scored 30 goals in 52 games before breaking his wrist. He loves to play 15ft in out in front of the net. He will drop the gloves with anyone and win. Yes he needs 3 years to be ready. The question is-and this is true of everyone, who does he become? Is he the next Keith Premiau or the next Eric Daze? No one knows. My last posts-3 or 4 days ago I said we should take Rasmussen or Foote, but thought we would go with Vesilinan (spelling). That is 4 of the last 5 drafts that my final thoughts were correct.
Now look down the road 5 years. Our top 6 are: Mantha, Larkin, AA, Svechnikov, G Smith, and Rasmussen. That is a very good group. It has everything you need. Size, speed, skill, toughness, snipers, now a front of net guy. The only problem with this group is they are all LHed.

He drops the gloves with anyone? Nice.

Last thing we need is another Sheahan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the many scouting reports on Rasmussen:

Large competitive two-way centreman with skill and good feet. A gritty, naturally strong player with mobility who wins most board scrums. He is a dominant player in the front and below the goal line. A mobile skater who is difficult to contain or move; he wins puck battles and scores. Intriguing prospect with upside offensively: difficult to contain, and effective vision and passing skills. Owns the front of the net on the power play. He might look for the pass over shooting, but he protects the biscuit well. Has an upright skating stride but gets there and shows jam when he greets you. His combination of power and skill is at the high end of this draft class, even though you might hope he would show a bit more effort all sixty minutes. A raw talent who may end up being the best player out of the West.

I totally forgot today was the first round of the draft!! Looks like I missed a good freak-out.

I really wasn't set on one player to take. I like everything I've been reading about Rasputin in the last half hour. If you watch this video, you can see why the organization likes his character. 

Ranked #10 by ISS Hockey
Ranked #10 by McKeen's Hockey
Ranked #5 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters)
Ranked #9 by TSN/McKenzie

...so isn't this where he was expected to be taken??

edit: oops, rich beat me to the video..  
Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

I think you get the point. Kid is a good prospect. That is what we want in the draft. Yes he could flop-same is true of everyone. This isn't a reach. He was a top 10 prospect coming in and we got him at 9. Fills 2 major needs: C and front of net guy.

Now if Holland gets off of his butt and moves up to get hague in the 2nd, we might have a great draft!

On 6/18/2017 at 2:42 PM, Richdg said:

Ok final thoughts before the draft. Yes there will be trades before and during the draft. But as of today with what we know what would I do?

1st round: Foote or Rasmussen. Foote should be a 2/3 D in a couple of years. Rasmussen should be a 2C maybe better. Both guys fill major needs. Not only do they both have the needed size, both skate well, both are good offensively and good defensively. Rasmussen is a great front of net guy, something we really need. Might be a winger down the road.

2nd round: Jake Oettinger G. The G of the future.

3rd round: Scooter Brickley D. A poor mans Foote.

Then grab the best available from there.

Is that what I think we do? No for the 1st round. If I was going to bet I would bet that we take Kristian Vesalainen. He is a 6-4/210 LH shooting LW/RW. He has been called Lil Puljujarvi or Puljujarvi Lite for a couple of years.

If we go with either Rasmussen or Vesalainen in the 1st, we are going to have a nice core of F's to build around. Mantha 6-5/225, Svechnikov 6-3/210, AA 6-2/190, Larkin 6-1/190, Smith 6-2/210 and then either Rasmussen 6-5/225 or Vesalainen 6-4/210. That is a very good talented group of good sized fast and skilled F's to build around.

Yes my disclaimer for Ksmith. We need more Dmen. But you also have to draft value. The F's available at 9th are better than the Dmen.

Making it clear. I liked Rasmussen before the draft. I am surprised we took him.

1 hour ago, marcaractac said:

He's ranked where he was by a lot of sites because of his size. Those who can look beyond that had him ranked as a late first rounder, some cases even in the second round. Holland himself more or less said he is a project and will likely take a few years of development. So please continue to tell me about how I seem to be talking out of my ass. 

Everyone we could have picked will likely take a few years. Hell, most of the players picked ahead of us will too. "Project" implies that he'll require some level of work beyond what is normal.

You say his ranking is just because of his size (despite all the other qualities listed in his scouting report), and despite the fact that players with size are ranked all over the board. I could just as easily say that he's disliked by some because some people have bought to readily into advanced stats without actually understanding them. If we had picked Vilardi I bet there would be some saying he was only ranked that high because of his size, and calling Holland an idiot because Vilardi won't make it in today's NHL because he can't skate. Who will be better? Time will tell. Prospects develop, skills improve. Some people think Rasmussen will be good, some don't. If there was a way right now to tell who is right, there wouldn't be any disagreement.

Bottom line is he has a skillset that could be very valuable if he develops well, and is almost totally lacking in our prospect pool. If you have a guy a three you would have preferred, fine, not going to try to change your mind. But he's not a project, it wasn't an off-the-board pick, or an experiment, or playing it safe, or too risky, or whatever other contrived argument people want to make up to armor their opinions. We picked a highly ranked prospect with a high pick. It's perfectly ******* normal. 

Is Vilardi projected to be a #1? Or anyone else available? Honest question.

From what I've read Vilardi was ranked higher for the most part, better upside. I don't hate the Rasmussen pick, but I don't really like it a lot either. I think if Holland really wanted Rasmussen he could have trade back a bit, or maybe even swapped the pick and Nyquist or Tatar for a good young D

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

Is Vilardi projected to be a #1? Or anyone else available? Honest question.

Funny enough, Vilardi and Rasmussen are described very similarly. Versatile two-way power-forward types. Both good at protecting the puck, both supposedly good playmakers (though the stats don't support that as well for Rasmussen). Both have question marks (Skating for Vilardi, 5v5 scoring for Ras). Some don't even project either as a center in the NHL at all, but both pretty consistently projected as top-6 power forwards. Vilardi was the higher ranked though.

2 hours ago, F.Michael said:

I'm hoping he'll become the next Dave Andreychuk.

Dylan McIlrath was drafted 10th overall - much of it was due to his size...But hey - he won the Calder!

You're comparing D to a forward, apples and oranges. It's pretty well known that D drafted high flop quite often. Rasmussen was not JUST drafted because of his size, his 32 goals in 50 games had something to do with it as well. 

1 hour ago, F.Michael said:

I'm hoping he'll become the next Dave Andreychuk.

Dylan McIlrath was drafted 10th overall - much of it was due to his size...But hey - he won the Calder!

Mcilrath was a big heavy enforcer the Rags hoped would become the next scott stevens. Poor skating and inability to read the game ultimately limited him from achieving that. And really, in the modern NHL, scott stevens types just arent effective anymore anyway. Radko Gudas is one of the few players remaining, that i can think of, that still effectively plays that style. A better comparison for Rasmussen, to me, is prime NJ Devils David Clarkson. A player that this forum, and most fans of all teams almost universilly wanted, until he fell apart in Toronto. Rasmussen is the big fearless powerfoward who hangs out in the slot to screen and bang home those greasy goals. By description, he seems to have the same inapbility to be moved by opposition that Holmstrom had, while also possesing some of the grit and corner work that a more traditional power forward has. 

Rember how effective this line was:

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Holmstrom

Perhaps we can somewhat recreate that with:

Rasmussen - Larkin - Mantha

I hate to compare him to Holmstrom, bc Homer was so unbelievably good at his job, but he might be an upgraded version of Holmstrom (more versatile due to more size, better board work, more grit, and better skating). 

Regardless, this kid doesnt seem like boom or bust to me. With his speed at that size he'll make the NHL. It just remains to be seen if he'll end up at best a top 6 scorer, or at worst a 3rd line checking forward.

6 hours ago, Dabura said:

I dislike the pick because I don't think Rasmussen is a true high-end talent. I think his stock was inflated because he's 6'6" tall. I pray I'm wrong, but I fear he's another Sheahan.

I hate to link to this for the 70th time, but, from everything I've seen and heard and read, I feel it's on-point:

https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2017/4/11/15259068/dr-dangles-prospect-profiles-michael-rasmussen-c-tri-city-americans-15

Dude NO ONE is high end talent this draft lol. 

31 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Dude NO ONE is high end talent this draft lol. 

I theres a legitimate argument to be made that not even Patrick or Hischier are high end talents like were used to. 

This draft to me was a lot like 2012 where you had guys like Yakupov, Murray, and Galchenyuk at the top. And even then i think those top 3 were more highly regarded than the recent top 3. Like with this draft, the best picks were scattered throughout the 1st round.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

Here's the thing...we need pure scoring, not just pp scoring. There was one guy that all the analysts were calling a pure scorer, sniper, best goal scorer in the draft...and he was staring right at Holland when he picked...and Holland passed instead of shot. Oh, what couldve been with Tippett. He'll get the Calder in his rookie season, and challenge for the goal scoring lead, watch.

Like his size and frame but man passing on Vilardi. The Kings got a steal at 11. Kopitar, Vilardi for years to come have fun West *lol*. Hopefully Rasmussen can develop into the Wings version of David Backes

Button on Vilardi http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/draft

"Offensive skill with size and ability to be a difficult player to defend against." - TSN Director of Scouting Craig Button

2 things the Wings needed, hopefully Rasmussen can bring that too

Edited by frankgrimes

24 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Here's the thing...we need pure scoring, not just pp scoring. There was one guy that all the analysts were calling a pure scorer, sniper, best goal scorer in the draft...and he was staring right at Holland when he picked...and Holland passed instead of shot. Oh, what couldve been with Tippett. He'll get the Calder in his rookie season, and challenge for the goal scoring lead, watch.

Your promising a 2nd meltdown? Youre right i LOVE tippet, hes the gift that keeps on giving

Real question here, as I see Kenny getting lots of s*** about this pick. I'm truthfully not familiar with how an organization comes to decide on a pick and my guess is most here don't either, but for anyone that does: Is it actually Holland responsible for deciding on the pick? I'm sure he can veto it of course, but I would imagine that the scouts are the ones responsible more so than Holland. 

Not trolling, looking to be educated.

Edited by Jasper84