• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wings3:16

Dan Cleary may return...sigh

Rate this topic

For the last time for all the people who keep saying it, GRAND RAPIDS DOES NOT NEED MORE VETERAN PLAYERS. DAN CLEARY HAS NO PLACE IN GRAND RAPIDS.

GR was already two players over the maximum veterans rule as of the end of last season, and they were players who could actually skate and score. The Griffins, in case anyone hasn't noticed, are actually a great team as it is and were only knocked out of the AHL playoffs by the Texas Stars who are one game away from winning the Calder Cup.

One more time; Grand Rapids already has effective veterans and plenty of leadership. It does not need a broken down immobile Cleary halting the development of our younger guys. We happen to be very stacked at forward in GR as it is. Please God no.

Retire already.

We have plenty of Veteran Slots with Grand Rapids available this season. Tootoo, Emmerton, McIntyre, and Eaves are all gone, and Evans and Grant aren't signed. Even with them brought back we still have a spot open for another vet.

And as bad as Cleary is now a days, he's still better than almost all of those guys. He won't hurt Grand Rapids at all...The Wings on the other hand would be insane to give him a spot.

We have plenty of Veteran Slots with Grand Rapids available this season. Tootoo, Emmerton, McIntyre, and Eaves are all gone, and Evans and Grant aren't signed. Even with them brought back we still have a spot open for another vet.

And as bad as Cleary is now a days, he's still better than almost all of those guys. He won't hurt Grand Rapids at all...The Wings on the other hand would be insane to give him a spot.

Yup. He'd be a good guy for GR, bad guy for Detroit.

grant and evans are badasses though

I am puzzled that this is even being considered. Dan Cleary has no business sniffing the big leagues anymore and quite frankly I would not like to see him block a youngster's spot in Grand Rapids.

So we're going to follow up last years bad decision to "pry" Cleary away from that supposed 3 year deal in Philly, by rewarding him with even a chance to play again.

If management feels they owe him something due to that verbal agreement, offer him a job selling hot dogs, scrubbing the urinals, polishing the statues, getting coffee. You know something his is capable of doing, cause hockey has passed him by!

I like Cleary as a Wing. Hope he has a better year production wise. I thought he was effective last year carrying the puck into the o zone and getting under the skin of some guys.

Against Boston not a single guy on the team did both of these things.

Compare Cleary to Franzen who has better production yet brings nothing to this team.

I like Cleary as a Wing. Hope he has a better year production wise. I thought he was effective last year carrying the puck into the o zone and getting under the skin of some guys.

This post brought to you by the year 2007.

In all seriousness, I felt the same way about Cleary too years ago but he isn't a remotely effective NHL player any longer. I wish Franzen had Cleary's heart. Beyond that, Cleary gave everything he had and finally just broke down physically. Take a job within the organization that doesn't involve playing hockey.

How does that saying go? "If you love someone, set it free. If it returns to you, lock the doors & don't take any of his agent's calls."

No, it's "If you love something, set it free. If it returns to you, you're in love with a boomerang."

Cheap Cleary in GR would be ok.

Keeping the promise to "take care of him" by giving him a desk or scouting job would be better.

He's a good image man for the team and provides leadership, but those things can be provided without taking up a roster space.

Guest DeGraa55

I'll be happy with signing cleary dir a year IF and only if Franzen gets bought out!!

Guest DeGraa55

TBH, I love the idea of Cleary as a full-time Griffin.

Ya me to I'll get to harass him!!

I didn't want to open this thread but how can you not. All I have to say is that bringing Cleary back last year was nuts, and I'm not even a Cleary hater in general like some. To bring him back this year, especially for two years, would be totally ******* bats*** insane. I don't care about them giving their word, the guy is clearly past the point where he can be relied upon to contribute. This is an utter and complete joke and a colossal shame if true.

I started to type that people shouldn't freak out because there's no way Cleary is going to be a Red Wings, then I realized I typed basically the exact same thing before Holland signed him last summer.

Still, I really don't think it'll happen this time. :blink:

I'm a big Cleary fan, but enough's enough.