• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ShanahanMan

Brendan Smith traded to Rangers for 2nd (2018) and 3rd (2017) Round Draft Picks

Rate this topic

Back on topic ...a trade both sided can be happy with. Smith with a genuine number 1 guy will be fine,despite the odd bonehead play. There is a reason him and McD were so good together in college. From a wings perspective, we can enjoy the fact that Kenny decided not to hand out another unwise contract extension and stock up on picks, because beyond the first 10 picks, almost as many 1st line d-men come in rounds 2 and 3 as between 11-30 in the draft. While I think Smith was probably the 3rd best D on this team as it currently stands, he's not ever going to sufficiently better than those behind him in line to not make a 2nd and a 3rd a good deal.

On 3/1/2017 at 2:23 AM, Jonas Mahonas said:

How is using a first round pick, spending 7 years developing him into a capable defenseman in his prime, and then trading him away for a 2nd and 3rd a "good job"?  The Wings are in a bad way right now.  They could have every 1st round pick next year, and it wouldnt matter.  I guess most people still haven't come to realize that our GM has no idea what he's doing.  Cleary, Miller, long term contract after long term contract.  You'd think everybody would realize that Holland is the biggest problem we have.  

Oh well, just sucks for us.  I'm sure Smith isn't shedding any tears.  Getting traded from the Red Wings must feel like breaking out of prison.

It is a good job when the team is going nowhere and by the time its relevant again he'll be past his prime AND as an upcoming UFA he wanted more money than any of us would have been comfortable giving him on a team that is already overloaded with bad contracts we need to slowly get rid of AND we have kids in the system who are less dynamic but more controlled who will probably reach a level not far off Smith's pretty soon.

As for Holland, we have no idea what will happen next, as he's never been in this situation before. Personally I expect him to give a few kids a look once missing the playoffs is confirmed, and then sign some low cost short contract vets (1 or 2) in the summer to have another go at squeezing into the playoffs, before flipping them for picks when we fall short again. Not attempting to rebuild on the fly the same way as before, but not tanking either...

56 minutes ago, lomekian said:

It is a good job when the team is going nowhere and by the time its relevant again he'll be past his prime AND as an upcoming UFA he wanted more money than any of us would have been comfortable giving him on a team that is already overloaded with bad contracts we need to slowly get rid of AND we have kids in the system who are less dynamic but more controlled who will probably reach a level not far off Smith's pretty soon.

As for Holland, we have no idea what will happen next, as he's never been in this situation before. Personally I expect him to give a few kids a look once missing the playoffs is confirmed, and then sign some low cost short contract vets (1 or 2) in the summer to have another go at squeezing into the playoffs, before flipping them for picks when we fall short again. Not attempting to rebuild on the fly the same way as before, but not tanking either...

We are doomed to mediocrity if Holland does that.

Just now, Jonas Mahonas said:

We are doomed to mediocrity if Holland does that.

In the short term and with a better coach, yes. But his mandate at the moment is to try to get us in the playoffs while simultaneously bringing one or two new kids onto the roster a year. At least we now know if next year is a disaster too that he'll sell what he can, and he's also said if its 3 in a row its full tankathon time. 

Of course much will be influenced by who we lose in the expansion draft and how the lottery for picks goes. We get lucky and this team will be too good to fail next year. We fall and have to take a longer term prospect with upside and it'll be lottery time next year too regardless of any cheap UFAs

15 hours ago, joesuffP said:

Now that's how you troll in 2017 ^^ elaborate, nobody can quite tell if their serious, beautiful. Bill Bazerich, you can learn a lot from this guy. Trolling is all about quality not quantity

Hahhaahahah. This post was hilarious. Good one Joe. 

On 3/4/2017 at 7:00 AM, lomekian said:

In the short term and with a better coach, yes. But his mandate at the moment is to try to get us in the playoffs while simultaneously bringing one or two new kids onto the roster a year. At least we now know if next year is a disaster too that he'll sell what he can, and he's also said if its 3 in a row its full tankathon time. 

Of course much will be influenced by who we lose in the expansion draft and how the lottery for picks goes. We get lucky and this team will be too good to fail next year. We fall and have to take a longer term prospect with upside and it'll be lottery time next year too regardless of any cheap UFAs

I really think we are 4 years away.  We need 2 defenseman and 2 forwards that are all top calibur.

Just now, Jonas Mahonas said:

I really think we are 4 years away.  We need 2 defenseman and 2 forwards that are all top calibur.

4 years away from making the playoffs? Being contenders? Or winning a cup?

1 minute ago, kliq said:

4 years away from making the playoffs? Being contenders? Or winning a cup?

Competing.  Playoffs.

Not winning.  That's 6-7 years out if we tank for 3 more years.

We need 1 RW, 1 C, 1A D, 1B D.

Cant get those in free agency because Holland is an idiot.  So gotta hope we get one each year in the next 4 drafts.  And if Holland gets canned after next year, the process could get shorter.

4 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I guess 4 years is what I mean by Medium term...I'd certainly say 3-4 years is the minimum to make us really competitive again, and that is with some luck and some good management.

2 hours ago, lomekian said:

I guess 4 years is what I mean by Medium term...I'd certainly say 3-4 years is the minimum to make us really competitive again, and that is with some luck and some good management.

Agree 100%

On 3/4/2017 at 8:31 AM, lomekian said:

Bless your little cotton socks.  You prize material wealth and that is apparently going well for you. Have a biscuit. Any of us who try to pass judgement on others due to their ability to succeed in our priorities is, for want of a more nuanced phrase, an idiot. Me? I jacked in my managerial career a decade ago to do things I love that pay me very very badly. I suspect that I am in a worse financial situation that most posters on this board in absolute terms. I'm also by far the happiest I've been in my life, and look forward to every day. What I do that I love may be of no interest to anyone else on here.

Also, technically, financial wealth in the investment markets are only ever a few hacks and technical and security breakdowns from being meaningless...;-)

Oh my God what an incredibly stupid thing to say about investments. Is this some of that "working class wisdom" someone mentioned earlier? Obviously you have no investments to speak of and/or know nothing about them. Remember Brexit? I lost about 2% of my total investments in a day. Why, because I have a well balanced asset allocation. 101 investment there bucko. Instead of running for the hills I bought even more international stock index funds (always buy low and sell high) and I have made a killing - about $200k.

Perhaps my late reply serves my point. Rather than wasting endless hours writing 1000-2000 word simple minded tomes and believing my self-esteem, or anything of any real-world value, is tied to my participation in something as banal as a hockey forum, I have spent the past few months being a productive member of society and increasing my net worth. 

So many of your long-winded assumptions are so simple minded and utterly predictable.

1. That I am a phoney. Trust me I have money. Am I the richest person you ever met? Of course not. However, I make a good six figure salary, have saved/invested 30% or more of my salary for 25 years resulting in a multiple seven figure retirement fund. If that makes you envious, then get off your a$$ ike I did.

2. That I only value money and am a sad lonely person. I have an advanced degree and paid for 100% of my education myself. My work has benefited people both directly and invaluably as well as collectively in via published and highly cited research contributing to human knowledge. I did none of this alone, but with many other hard working people. I could have made MUCH more in industry. I have plenty of friends and family too. Money is not the end for me, it is the means to have control of my life so I can help those I care about.

My point from the beginning was this forum has its little in-groups and self-anointed gurus whose big accomplishment in life has been exceeding the 1,000 post mark. Can you imagine these jokers doing this at “work” all day? Some job huh? if you find yourself thinking this is a good job to have, I have a hint. Loser.

For those aspiring to be “in” - there is a better way. Accomplish something REAL in the WORLD. When you do, like I have, your forum heroes are revealed as a sad pathetic joke. People who spend what must be an hour or two a day posting “well crafted” arguments that accomplish... what? Absolutely zero. Take that same hour or two a day toward learning R, SQL, Python, html… and add some math, statistics or business. In six months to a year, instead of racking up a collection of meaningless online hockey buddies (and adversaries), you will open the door to making good money, having a real career and being your own boss.

It is plain as day. Your "leaders" here are real life losers. 

23 minutes ago, lwing said:

Oh my God what an incredibly stupid thing to say about investments. Is this some of that "working class wisdom" someone mentioned earlier? Obviously you have no investments to speak of and/or know nothing about them. Remember Brexit? I lost about 2% of my total investments in a day. Why, because I have a well balanced asset allocation. 101 investment there bucko. Instead of running for the hills I bought even more international stock index funds (always buy low and sell high) and I have made a killing - about $200k.

Perhaps my late reply serves my point. Rather than wasting endless hours writing 1000-2000 word simple minded tomes and believing my self-esteem, or anything of any real-world value, is tied to my participation in something as banal as a hockey forum, I have spent the past few months being a productive member of society and increasing my net worth. 

So many of your long-winded assumptions are so simple minded and utterly predictable.

1. That I am a phoney. Trust me I have money. Am I the richest person you ever met? Of course not. However, I make a good six figure salary, have saved/invested 30% or more of my salary for 25 years resulting in a multiple seven figure retirement fund. If that makes you envious, then get off your a$$ ike I did.

2. That I only value money and am a sad lonely person. I have an advanced degree and paid for 100% of my education myself. My work has benefited people both directly and invaluably as well as collectively in via published and highly cited research contributing to human knowledge. I did none of this alone, but with many other hard working people. I could have made MUCH more in industry. I have plenty of friends and family too. Money is not the end for me, it is the means to have control of my life so I can help those I care about.

My point from the beginning was this forum has its little in-groups and self-anointed gurus whose big accomplishment in life has been exceeding the 1,000 post mark. Can you imagine these jokers doing this at “work” all day? Some job huh? if you find yourself thinking this is a good job to have, I have a hint. Loser.

For those aspiring to be “in” - there is a better way. Accomplish something REAL in the WORLD. When you do, like I have, your forum heroes are revealed as a sad pathetic joke. People who spend what must be an hour or two a day posting “well crafted” arguments that accomplish... what? Absolutely zero. Take that same hour or two a day toward learning R, SQL, Python, html… and add some math, statistics or business. In six months to a year, instead of racking up a collection of meaningless online hockey buddies (and adversaries), you will open the door to making good money, having a real career and being your own boss.

I dont know what's worse, a person creating a fake persona on a message board and trying to push it forward 6 months after he had a hissy fit?

Or, a person who really is successful seeking validation on a message board.

Either way, both are sad. Just stop. Or go on another rant about how great you are, I really don't care :lol:

2 hours ago, lwing said:

Sir, "good boy points" your mommy gives you for picking up your basement bedroom are not "investments" or actually even real money.

Let us know what you cash all those GBPs in for though. I suggest a big plate of chicken tendies. Tyson brand. Yummy yummy

On 9/11/2017 at 5:37 PM, krsmith17 said:

How has this loser not been banned yet?

Dont be so hard on Jonas bro, he's a teddy bear on the inside.

-----

Btw this new guy makes shocky2002 seem like a noob troll. 

Edited by kickazz

One of the only good moves Kenny has made in a long time. God it was nice to get rid of that dead weight and for a second and third round pick. I was just worried Kenny would pull a Kenny and re sign him in the off season because he could not get anyone else.

Edited by Krayzie_Bone