• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ShanahanMan

Brendan Smith traded to Rangers for 2nd (2018) and 3rd (2017) Round Draft Picks

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Considering some were saying we'd be lucky to get a 3rd or 4th for Smith... :rolleyes:

Shattenkrik had a lot to do with it. After the Caps got him the pressure was on NY and to a degree Pittsburgh to bolster their D as well and that drove the price up. Good for us.

Edited by derblaueClaus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, derblaueClaus said:

Shattenkrik had a lot to do with it. After the Caps got him the pressure was on NY and and to a degree Pittsburgh to bolster their D as well and that drove the price up. Good for us.

Indeed, definitely looks like prices are inflated at this deadline...even more so than usual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, derblaueClaus said:

Shattenkrik had a lot to do with it. After the Caps got him the pressure was on NY and and to a degree Pittsburgh to bolster their D as well and that drove the price up. Good for us.

Peer pressure.  Like seeing two of your buddies in a bar hook up with average looking women at closing time, and then scrambling to find anybody to go home with yourself.  The Rangers go home with Smith.    

1 minute ago, greenrebellion said:

Indeed, definitely looks like prices are inflated at this deadline...even more so than usual.

Hmmm..............I wonder what we could get for Danny Dekeyser?  He's big and young.  Someone would certainly pay a lot for him right now.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GMRwings1983 said:

Peer pressure.  Like seeing two of your buddies in a bar hook up with average looking women at closing time, and then scrambling to find anybody to go home with yourself.  The Rangers go home with Smith.    

hahaha I miss this when we use to watch the streams hahaha Good one GMR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Peer pressure.  Like seeing two of your buddies in a bar hook up with average looking women at closing time, and then scrambling to find anybody to go home with yourself.  The Rangers go home with Smith.    

Who looks pretty average himself. ;)

Just to clarify: My comment wasn't meant to say that Smith is a bad defense man. He is not and I wouldn't mind seeing him in Detroit again. But a 2nd and a 3rd is still a steep price for a top 4  defenseman who will be an UFA at the end of the season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

The unfortunate thing is that I thought Smith was right on the verge of finding his game, I thought he looked pretty good this year. Nice move though, no real complaints.

What I enjoyed most was his willingness to get his nose bloodied.

Overall I thought he played well...Hoping he'll do well for the Rags.

9 minutes ago, derblaueClaus said:

Who looks pretty average himself. ;)

Just to clarify: My comment wasn't meant to say that Smith is a bad defense man. He is not and I wouldn't mind seeing him in Detroit again. But a 2nd and a 3rd is still a steep price for a top 4  defenseman who will be an UFA at the end of the season. 

Apparently both Smith, and the Rags are looking for a contract extension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's what went on behind closed doors.

KH- Brendan, we want you,  here's 3x $3.5M...

BS- No, I need 4 at $4.5M...

KH- ok, we'll trade you, you can go where you can prove you are worth it, maybe get yourself a Cup, then if you prove you're worth it, we'll offer you 4 at $4.8M, if you still want to be a Red Wing,  we'll see you in July. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jersey Wing said:

Monitoring the Twitter

Detroit is now up to 10 picks in the 2017 NHL draft: 1st 2nd 3rd CHI 3rd NYR 3rd TOR 4th 5th 6th 6th FLA 7th

It's a shame they're mostly in the wrong half of the draft, and in a weak year :/ oh well hopefully they can work some magic with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Echolalia said:

It's a shame they're mostly in the wrong half of the draft, and in a weak year :/ oh well hopefully they can work some magic with them.

When they say its a "weak" draft, they are really only talking about the top handful of picks with no super star standouts.  Its not like magically this entire draft class is way weaker than other years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's find out what Rangers fans think of the deal thus far:

guess i'll reserve judgement until i see him play. I do like the mean streak trait though. definitely something we need for the playoffs.

2nd and a third in two different years....meh, deadline deals seemingly rarely are steals for the buyers in recent years.

Totally a knee jerk move b/c of Caps getting Shattenkirk giving up a 2nd/3rd round pick.

More of a measured response to the fact some of our D-men are bad.

Detroit seems to be over the moon about this. Never a good sign.

Washington loads up with Shattenkirk. We get... Brendan Smith. Cool

not pleased with this deal. hopefully he has some impact didn't really see the need for a LHD tho

If we unloaded 2 seconds for this guy I will lose my ****

Such an odd trade. People seem to be either over the moon or not liking it.I'm in the "Not so good" camp, but I hope I'm wrong. Won't mind eating crow. I just don't see that value. He shores up our bottom 3 d-men. That's about it

 

Quote

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Echolalia said:

It's a shame they're mostly in the wrong half of the draft, and in a weak year :/ oh well hopefully they can work some magic with them.

Yamamoto and Suzuki. If they fall a bit. They are currently rising though, may have to acquire another 1st to snag Yamamoto. Then take Suzuki with our high 2nd. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Solid return for Smith. Holland did well in this situation.

 

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Here's what went on behind closed doors.

KH- Brendan, we want you,  here's 3x $3.5M...

BS- No, I need 4 at $4.5M...

KH- ok, we'll trade you, you can go where you can prove you are worth it, maybe get yourself a Cup, then if you prove you're worth it, we'll offer you 4 at $4.8M, if you still want to be a Red Wing,  we'll see you in July. 

Bite your tongue!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in disbelief on what we got back for Smith. I may need to cool it a bit with my bitching about Kenny...for now lol. Getting a 2nd and a 3rd rounder for arguably our worst defenseman, and the 3rd rounder we already got for Jurco, is nothing short of amazing. Bravo Kenny! Gotta give you a pat on the back for this one. Wow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Delicious return. 

I fear that Smitty was starting to find his game and he will start tearing it up for the Rags, but an even greater fear was that he was just going to become J. Ericsson 2.0. 

Either way, quality return for Smith.

Good luck Brendan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this