• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ShanahanMan

Brendan Smith traded to Rangers for 2nd (2018) and 3rd (2017) Round Draft Picks

Rate this topic

I didn't hate Smith, but he didn't amount to what he could have in Detroit. Management gave him more than enough time to get it together, and he didn't. It always seemed like he'd make great progress in one area, but then decline in another. Was time to ship him out with other upcoming defenders needing spots and the expansion draft and his UFA status looming.

The Rags overpaid, but so did Chicago for Jurco. Holland is actually off to a good start in the first season as a seller. Keep piling up those picks!!

Now to move Vanek. I wonder what kind of offers Holland has been getting? A first would sure be nice.

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Here's what went on behind closed doors.

KH- Brendan, we want you,  here's 3x $3.5M...

BS- No, I need 4 at $4.5M...

KH- ok, we'll trade you, you can go where you can prove you are worth it, maybe get yourself a Cup, then if you prove you're worth it, we'll offer you 4 at $4.8M, if you still want to be a Red Wing,  we'll see you in July. 

If Smith is smart, and plays well for the Rags - he would be much better off asking for more term, and less $$$.

He's pretty much a bottom pairing Dman on their club.

So far so good, Holland has got us a 2nd rounder and two 3rd rounders, for 2 guys that probably won't be on the team next year. I was reading Smith's agent turned down 3 years at $3.5 Million a year.

2 hours ago, greenrebellion said:

When they say its a "weak" draft, they are really only talking about the top handful of picks with no super star standouts.  Its not like magically this entire draft class is way weaker than other years.

Generally anything outside of the top 25-50 is a crapshoot, depending on the depth of the draft.  This one is fairly shallow, so the majority of our picks are essentially just more shots at playing the odds at finding a diamond.  Maybe one sticks and becomes a star.  

8 minutes ago, Barrie said:

So far so good, Holland has got us a 2nd rounder and two 3rd rounders, for 2 guys that probably won't be on the team next year. I was reading Smith's agent turned down 3 years at $3.5 Million a year.

$5 says Smith will be another 'Cody Franson'...As in he'll make less $$$, and fewer years if he, and his agent are dumb enough to wait until July 1st.

If either of them have a functioning brain - they'd accept the same pay (meaning what he's making now) for a contract extension if the Rags were to offer one.

Edited by F.Michael

Good riddance. 

Extremely overrated in Detroit since he was drafted which backfired and caused others to dislike him. That's what happens when players get overhyped. I remember some calling him the next Lidstrom.

Hope he does well in NYR this year so they re-sign him for the next 15 years and we can go back to developing some real D-men. Bring on Cholowski. 

Ha jk. 

Wait are we saying Holland is a genius now for one ok trade? I'm not hopping on this roller coaster. Big deal. He answered the phone and said yes. He still has too many failings to answer for. 

2 minutes ago, lwing said:

Wait are we saying Holland is a genius now for one ok trade? I'm not hopping on this roller coaster. Big deal. He answered the phone and said yes. He still has too many failings to answer for. 

Who said that exactly? 

We're acknowledging when he does something good. Just like we acknowledge when he does something bad. 

It's not complicated. 

4 minutes ago, Son of a Wing said:

Who said that exactly? 

We're acknowledging when he does something good. Just like we acknowledge when he does something bad. 

It's not complicated. 

Oh my god, relax. 

21 minutes ago, lwing said:

Relax

10 minutes ago, lwing said:

Oh my god, relax. 

Listen to this guy.

Oh. Nvm. 

I'm very relaxed. Comes from hard work and being in control of one's life. Went away to look at my retirement funds and investments. Market is a down a little today, but having a well thought out balanced portfolio keeps me cool every day. So, keep posting boys and I'll go back to my money. 

Just now, lwing said:

I'm very relaxed. Comes from hard work and being in control of one's life. Went away to look at my retirement funds and investments. Market is a down a little today, but having a well thought out balanced portfolio keeps me cool every day. So, keep posting boys and I'll go back to my money. 

Chill then Richie Rich

How is using a first round pick, spending 7 years developing him into a capable defenseman in his prime, and then trading him away for a 2nd and 3rd a "good job"?  The Wings are in a bad way right now.  They could have every 1st round pick next year, and it wouldnt matter.  I guess most people still haven't come to realize that our GM has no idea what he's doing.  Cleary, Miller, long term contract after long term contract.  You'd think everybody would realize that Holland is the biggest problem we have.  

Oh well, just sucks for us.  I'm sure Smith isn't shedding any tears.  Getting traded from the Red Wings must feel like breaking out of prison.

2 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

How is using a first round pick, spending 7 years developing him into a capable defenseman in his prime, and then trading him away for a 2nd and 3rd a "good job"?  The Wings are in a bad way right now.  They could have every 1st round pick next year, and it wouldnt matter.  I guess most people still haven't come to realize that our GM has no idea what he's doing.  Cleary, Miller, long term contract after long term contract.  You'd think everybody would realize that Holland is the biggest problem we have.  

Oh well, just sucks for us.  I'm sure Smith isn't shedding any tears.  Getting traded from the Red Wings must feel like breaking out of prison.

And you were hoping he would stay in that prison and get his contract extended. You meanie. 

Edited by kickazz

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

And you were hoping he would stay in that prison and get his contract extended. You meanie. 

Yah.  I am saddened a bit cause I liked him.  But nature of the beast.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Never saw the movie. Was too busy working and being in control of my investments.

You sound like a "control enthusiast"...

6 hours ago, Barrie said:

Turned down 3 years at $3.5 million per? What an idiot. Oh well, i'm glad he didn't take it. Lol