• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sputman

Jacob Trouba

Rate this topic

57 minutes ago, frankgrimes said:

And he is easily worth that

51 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

A savvy GM would have pulled both Hamonic and Trouba out of their places by now.  A 3 team trade made perfect sense, and still does.

To Winn: Hamonic, Det. 2017 1st

To NYI:  Athanasiou, Ouellet

To Det: Trouba

Not at all worth that. Can't elevate Winnipeg even as their 3rd-best defenseman. Only way I'd give up our first is if their first was coming back.

I don't see Trouba being worth that.  Right now he's the #2 on a non playoff team.  Detroit is getting a top 10 pick for the first time in forever, they need to use it and try to hit a home run, either through the draft or by getting a guy who's already a #1.

Trouba is not worth AA and a 1st, no way. Maybe in a couple years that trade makes sense but right now its risky for both teams and especially us. There is an extremely high chance we can just sign him when hes a UFA.

AA + a couple thirds makes more sense but I think he should be almost untouchable right now. Wouldn't want to trade any of our assets for an upoming FA.

19 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Now everybody wants to trade AA. This kid is the best thing you have for the future.

I don't think anyone wants him gone, the line of thinking is what would it take to get Trouba and the consensus is that one of Larkin, Mantha, or AA would need to be dealt. With that being the case, AA is the person most people are choosing.

Jacob Trouba is like a better version of Brendan Smith.  No matter how much he underperforms the wildly out of proportion expectations of his acolytes, they'll always have an excuse handy.  Then one day, he'll be 28 years old, and not that much different of a player than he is now, and suddenly everyone will say "well he never really panned out". 

Trouba isn't a #1 defenseman.  He's not going to develop into one either.  He's a perfectly good defenseman, but if you want a top guy (and everyone seems to) then it's not going to be him.  His offense just isn't' good enough. 

Edited by kipwinger

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

Jacob Trouba is like a better version of Brendan Smith.  No matter how much he underperforms the wildly out of proportion expectations of his acolytes, they'll always have an excuse handy.  Then one day, he'll be 28 years old, and not that much different of a player than he is now, and suddenly everyone will say "well he never really panned out". 

Trouba isn't a #1 defenseman.  He's not going to develop into one either.  He's a perfectly good defenseman, but if you want a top guy (and everyone seems to) then it's not going to be him.  His offense just isn't' good enough. 

I cant sit here and tell you that Trouba is a guaranteed #1 because the reality of the situation is that I don't know, but I think he is light years above Brendan Smith. This year at age 23, in 60 games he got 33 points which is good for .55 points per game which puts him at 20th in the NHL for D-men.

Smith's career high is 19 points, Trouba is at a completely different level. 

IMO if he is #20 in the league for d-men in scoring at 23, it is not ridiculous to believe that when he enters his prime he can't be top 10. You don't need to win the norris to be a #1, I believe Trouba can be a legit #1.

2 minutes ago, kliq said:

I cant sit here and tell you that Trouba is a guaranteed #1 because the reality of the situation is that I don't know, but I think he is light years above Brendan Smith. This year at age 23, in 60 games he got 33 points which is good for .55 points per game which puts him at 20th in the NHL for D-men.

Smith's career high is 19 points, Trouba is at a completely different level. 

IMO if he is #20 in the league for d-men in scoring at 23, it is not ridiculous to believe that when he enters his prime he can't be top 10. You don't need to win the norris to be a #1, I believe Trouba can be a legit #1.

Wow, you missed the point entirely.  I wasn't comparing Smith to Trouba, and I plainly said that Trouba was better.  I was talking about how people around here fail to see the flaws in Trouba's game, much like they did with Smith, and always have excuses ready for why he isn't where they think he's capable of being.  But the truth is that neither of them are as good some fans want them to be. 

53 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Wow, you missed the point entirely.  I wasn't comparing Smith to Trouba, and I plainly said that Trouba was better.  I was talking about how people around here fail to see the flaws in Trouba's game, much like they did with Smith, and always have excuses ready for why he isn't where they think he's capable of being.  But the truth is that neither of them are as good some fans want them to be. 

Agreed, you were crystal clear that you thought Trouba was better then Smith, that point wasn't lost on me, my apologies if I articulated my point to where that wasn't clear. The problem with your comparison is that Trouba and Smith are not on the same level, and by comparing them you are subtly bringing Trouba down a peg in terms of perception. You are an extremely smart guy Kip, I know you know this as the main point of your post was to bring the perception of Trouba down.

To be fair though, you said nothing about his flaws being overlooked, maybe that was your intention, but your exact words were:

"Trouba isn't a #1 defenseman.  He's not going to develop into one either.  He's a perfectly good defenseman, but if you want a top guy (and everyone seems to) then it's not going to be him.  His offense just isn't' good enough."

The main part of my point is that he is on a trajectory that says otherwise (see the stats I already posted). I brought up stats because you said his offense isnt good enough.

I get it, some (possibly myself included) put him on a pedestal, and it's annoying when people do that, but it doesn't mean the kid doesn't have the potential, only time will tell. I think he will become a 1A d-man, you don't, the only thing we can do is see what happens.

Trouba is a top pair defenseman, and will most likely become a legit number one. In saying that, there's no way I'd give up a package close to Athanasiou and a 1st (top 10, possibly top 3 pick). This time last year we were in desperate need for that coveted right-handed, top pair defenseman, now, not so much. I think a lefty to pair with Green makes more sense for us right now. We have some righties in the pipeline that "could" develop into top pair defensemen, and where this team is at now, we should be taking the wait and see approach with some of these guys. At this point, I'm more concerned about stocking up on picks and high end prospects, than I am unloading said picks and high end prospects. If a trade comes along that makes sense, sure, pull the trigger, but we certainly shouldn't be willing to overpay for players.

Depending on where the Wings pick ends up, I might move a pick around 8 for Trouba straight up.  Historically, players taken in that range are guys like Trouba, Hamilton, etc, and there's always a chance that you end up with a McIlrath.  Losing the chance of getting someone better might be worth getting a sure thing who is still pretty young.  I wouldn't add much, if anything, else though.

39 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Keep dreaming.  Weak draft, pick #8 for 23 year old 1B/2A defenseman with 260 games experience already.  Keep dreaming.

I agree with the logic, but you also never know, GMs value 1st round draft picks like they are big chunks of solid gold.

12 hours ago, kipwinger said:

You're correct, Trouba isn't a #1 defenseman. He's #2 on his team behind Byflugien. And as a #2 he logs some of the heaviest minutes in the league. Only 10 D-men in the league log more minutes per game than him (Byflugien among them). He plays more minutes per game than OEL, Burns, Hedman, Subban, McDonagh, Giordano.....

He's doing this, and putting up 33 pts per game in 60 games played, at the age of 23. The only other young Dman doing this right now is Rasmus Ristolainen.

I don't know a lot about Trouba, or watch him very much at all, but it sure seems like you are writing him off. There is lots of room for him to grow yet, and he's already doing a lot.