• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Athanasiou Signed 1 year $1.4 mil

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

It's crazy to me how people think Holland is still succeeding.  You know what years of overpaying UFAs and not playing or paying your young talent gets you?  All you have to do is open your eyes and watch our team, bro.  Non playoff team.

I'm actually happy you wrote this, kind of helps prove my point. People who blindly hate Holland (or create persona's that hate Holland lol) will bash Holland for everything and anything simply because it's Holland. They refuse to assess Holland fairly on individual moves, because they are fueled on emotion and since they are not happy with the overall direction are just negative on everything. Then when someone defends a specific move, you get a comment like this implying that if you do like the move, you are in support of Holland and his overall work. Or you get the even weaker response of being called "an apologist".

Not the case. 

If THOUGHT A means you are upset with the state of this team and many of the contracts, by saying you you think Holland handled AA well, does not mean that THOUGHT A disappears.  

Its just like your non playoff team comment, anyone that watches can see we are a fringe team, and that is not a compliment, but the Holland haters are scared to even say that, as it fits their narrative better to say "we suck". 

I have gone on record many times in saying ALOT of the moves Holland makes are bad. I can go into details if anyone likes, but I don't see the point to keep going over the same things.

Edited by kliq

4 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Probably waives Frk. Because trades are hard.....

CKHnySL.gif.c71f3224f12c264eec813be10c14b533.gif

He’d get claimed again and kept this time. He got him back once after losing him. Hopefully he’s learned.

But yeah, trade Sheahan. Pittsburgh wants him. It’s an easy move. Holland likes easy moves.

Guy signs for less than he originally was offered. Played his hand really early.  Kenny knew a  young kid doesn't want to play in Russia.  AA went to Switzerland to once again pretend he was interested in playing overseas. Once again his bluff was called. Holland got him signed for less money.  Kenny won't get any credit for it. Pretty simple 

13 hours ago, kliq said:

I assume the 1.38 number is what the cap hit will be, meaning its technically 1.5 or something, brought down to that. But thats just a guess. 

I was actually thinking the opposite. It's $1.387M but he'll still only get paid the amount Holland originally offered ($1.25M for one year). Didn't Athanasiou already lose around $150K or something for sitting the first 8 games? Maybe Athanasiou said he'd agree to sign, if he can still get approximately the same amount as the original offer... Who knows, I could be way off...

1 hour ago, puckbags said:

Guy signs for less than he originally was offered. Played his hand really early.  Kenny knew a  young kid doesn't want to play in Russia.  AA went to Switzerland to once again pretend he was interested in playing overseas. Once again his bluff was called. Holland got him signed for less money.  Kenny won't get any credit for it. Pretty simple 

He actually signed for slightly more than the original offer of $1.25M for one season. Not sure if he'll get all of that or not though. We'll see when the contract is actually finalized...

it was all a biding your time ploy by Kenny and AA!  Kenny needed a few weeks to sort out a trade that would be of use to us. AA played ball by stalling on his deal giving Kenny enough time to trigger the trade and be enough under the cap  to get AA on board to. We now wait to see what mega deal our GM has pulled off.

Sheahan and his $2.1m cap hit to the Pens for 6th round pick and Andrey Pedan.

Ouellet and his $1.25m cap hit to the Canadiens for MICHAEL MCCARRON 

I don't give a s*** how they solve the cap stuff. Just waive some bums. Yes Sheahan is part of that designation, just drop him if he can't be traded. Yes I know about the Pittsburgh rumors.

With that said I would like to welcome back one of the most promising prospects in the last.. 5+? years. Don't give a bullcrap if he's a pain in the locker room. Just go out there. Do your stuff. Follow the system and good things will follow.

It is a Business. Your ticket and television money pays for it. Not your bitching. Who would you rather watch - Sheahan or Athanasiou?

25 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I was actually thinking the opposite. It's $1.387M but he'll still only get paid the amount Holland originally offered ($1.25M for one year). Didn't Athanasiou already lose around $150K or something for sitting the first 8 games? Maybe Athanasiou said he'd agree to sign, if he can still get approximately the same amount as the original offer...

This would be my guess. Starting today, a $1.387M contract value would pay ~$1.25M over the remainder of the season. The math seems to fit the theory.

34 minutes ago, Andy Pred 48 said:

Sheahan and his $2.1m cap hit to the Pens for 6th round pick and Andrey Pedan.

That would be a terrible trade for us. If we're trading Sheahan, it should be for a mid to high pick (2nd or 3rd).

36 minutes ago, Andy Pred 48 said:

Ouellet and his $1.25m cap hit to the Canadiens for MICHAEL MCCARRON 

I'd do that trade for sure. It's a trade I've actually mentioned in the past. Not sure if the Habs would pull the trigger though...

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

I was actually thinking the opposite. It's $1.387M but he'll still only get paid the amount Holland originally offered ($1.25M for one year). Didn't Athanasiou already lose around $150K or something for sitting the first 8 games? Maybe Athanasiou said he'd agree to sign, if he can still get approximately the same amount as the original offer... Who knows, I could be way off...

I would agree. The whole 1.3878347u294723984 number is so weird that has to be the reason after adjustments to bring it down to $1.25.

If  that's the case Holland won and AA's agent needs to be fired for doing absolutely nothing positive for AA.

But even if that's not right AA is making 100k more than Hollands original offer.... Congratulations AA's agent, you possibly let your client get $100k more while wasting away his life from hockey. No training camp, missing out on 15 games or so of hockey experience (by the time the work visa is reinstated). A real champion of an agent. Fckin idiot.  

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

He actually signed for slightly more than the original offer of $1.25M for one season. Not sure if he'll get all of that or not though. We'll see when the contract is actually finalized...

I think he meant the extra $600 k per he would have gotten had he done the 2 year deal. 

Edited by kickazz

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

That would be a terrible trade for us. If we're trading Sheahan, it should be for a mid to high pick (2nd or 3rd).

I'd do that trade for sure. It's a trade I've actually mentioned in the past. Not sure if the Habs would pull the trigger though...

its about getting $ off the books smiffy, if Sheahan was playing anywhere near his potential it would be a no goer, but he's 8 games in and pointless and so unless he has a massive production swing hes the most likely trade chip at the moment, were getting a 3rd back in the shape of Pedan, whom could be a late bloomer and a 6th.Its a numbers game on this one, it maybe a bad trade on paper,but when needs must something has to give.

8 hours ago, kliq said:

I'm actually happy you wrote this, kind of helps prove my point. People who blindly hate Holland (or create persona's that hate Holland lol) will bash Holland for everything and anything simply because it's Holland. They refuse to assess Holland fairly on individual moves, because they are fueled on emotion and since they are not happy with the overall direction are just negative on everything. Then when someone defends a specific move, you get a comment like this implying that if you do like the move, you are in support of Holland and his overall work. Or you get the even weaker response of being called "an apologist".

Not the case. 

If THOUGHT A means you are upset with the state of this team and many of the contracts, by saying you you think Holland handled AA well, does not mean that THOUGHT A disappears.  

Its just like your non playoff team comment, anyone that watches can see we are a fringe team, and that is not a compliment, but the Holland haters are scared to even say that, as it fits their narrative better to say "we suck". 

I have gone on record many times in saying ALOT of the moves Holland makes are bad. I can go into details if anyone likes, but I don't see the point to keep going over the same things.

This, this and more this! It's sad that there are fans that are so blinded by their confirmation bias for Holland that they are incapable of viewing each of his moves on their individual merit.

9 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Exactly.  Neo acts like we won the Stanley Cup last year and Ken Holland's model is flawless.  

It's crazy to me how people think Holland is still succeeding.  You know what years of overpaying UFAs and not playing or paying your young talent gets you?  All you have to do is open your eyes and watch our team, bro.  Non playoff team.

Is there a substantive argument in there somewhere that I am missing?

8 minutes ago, Barrie said:

I wonder if AA will do the same thing next year?

He'll have arbritration rights so if they don't find a deal he can go to the arbiter to decide. He could hold out on the deal that is decided through that process (Hudler-style) and play in the KHL, but there wouldn't be this prolonged stalemate.

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Go back to my previous posts.

Smith - hated.  We lost a first round pick with lots of time invested.

Tatar - liked.

Daley - hated.

Athanasiou - hated (the way it was handled).

Sproul - meh.

Sheahan - hated.  We lost a 1st rnd pick with lots of time invested.

What does that even matter? It's where they are as players now, where they were drafted is a moot point unless the topic is how successful was the 2010 draft.

Besides, we got Matt Puempel today who was also a 1st round pick, so it all evens out with your logic anyways.

20 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

It matters.  If you spend 4 years developing a player you spent a 1st round pick on and then trade him for a 7th round pick, you set the team back.  

No, the pick didnt pan out. Sunk Cost. 

Mistake was made in 2010, not 2017. You can't hold on to a player because of what he used to be worth, you have to be able to make the tough decision and give him up when the time is right.

And again, with your logic that means the Sproul trade was a huge win soley based on the fact that we traded a 2nd round pick for a 1st round pick. Again, where they were picked doesnt matter in 2017.

You want to criticize Holland for taking Sheahan, go for it. You want to criticize the organization as a whole for not developing Sheahan better, go for it. But to criticize the Wings for trading him because he was a 1st rounder 7 years ago......not valid.

7 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

It matters.  If you spend 4 years developing a player you spent a 1st round pick on and then trade him for a 7th round pick, you set the team back.  

You're right. I'm starting to wonder about our scouts ability. It seems as though Holland keeps having to clean up their busts with these trades he's been doing. Interesting to see your support of Holland. You may be onto something about the scouts doing a poor job though. 

Edited by kickazz

2 minutes ago, LoveMyRedWings56 said:

AA will have arbitration rights next summer, If he has a good year this year. Next summer he should get a decent salary probably in the $3 million+ neighborhood.

Yep. Want to see how he looks, hoping that he has polished away some of his flaws. Kid's got a huge ceiling if he pans out. Now he has to show to earn it.