• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Athanasiou Signed 1 year $1.4 mil

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Natural process as in they sucked and tried not to suck but inevitably sucked anyways (just like we are currently).  They even got Lapointe to boost their squad if you remember. They didn't ACTIVELY tank. 

Tanking =/= sucking

There's 14 teams that don't make the playoffs and are lottery eligible. 14 teams don't tank per year. 14 teams just happen to not be good enough to make it.

Except he's not trying to get later picks, he's going with the flow and if things don't work he sells. We were supposed to pick #6 or whatever but because of the lottery we ended up at #9. That's the NHL for you. And if you're talking about the Mantha pick and Larkin pick. We were still a contender back then and D and Z were still top 10 (arguably even top 5) league players (and well above a PPG players). You don't tank when you have the two best defensive forwards in the league on your team still in the tail end of their primes (age 32 and 33).

Your arguments are so weak Dickie, it's almost a headache to keep dealing with your broken record s***. And that's really saying something because as we all know, I love to argue because I got the "always gotta be right complex" 

Second bold point - Mantha, Larkin, AA, Jensen, Oullette were all main roster players. Svech, Bertuzzi, Sproul and Russo all played games as well. Tatar and Nyquist have been on the team for almost 4 years now. So what's your point?

Larkin started playing in this first year as a pro. Mantha in his 2nd year as a pro. What's the issue? 

Easy on the flame bait, kickazz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Why do you always go polar opposite when arguing an (over)hyped player? No, Athanasiou won't ever be a generational talent, and it's crazy to think he could be, but to say he isn't an important piece to this team, is just as crazy in my opinion. He will likely develop into a solid top 6 winger, and those are very valuable.

Kessel was an easy sell, but Phaneuf was not a player teams were calling for. The Leafs were trying to get rid of him, and they managed to dump him on the Sens. People complain about DeKeyser, but I'd take him at $5M for another 5 seasons over Phaneuf at $7m for another 4 seasons. The Leafs also traded David f***ing Clarkson, and people say that we have s***ty players on untradeable contracts...

I just want to point out that I'm not saying we should tank. I've argued several times in the past that tanking is a terrible strategy since the lottery was implemented. My point is that the Leafs and Oilers being bad for a long time isn't the reason they're now on the upswing, it's because they landed that number one overall, generational type talent. If the Leafs didn't land Matthews, they probably would have finished last season toward the bottom of the standings once again. Same with Edmonton landing McDavid. We can continue missing the playoffs for another 5 seasons, drafting 7-12 every year, and still be no further ahead. Or we can miss 1-2 more seasons, luck out in the draft lottery and land an elite player that immediately changes the fortune of this team. As the Flyers proved last season, you don't need to bottom out to have a chance at a generational talent (not saying Patrick is that).

The rest I pretty much agree with.

We have no need for complimentary pieces right now. Especially not ones that dont jive with the coach or management. 

We need young guys who bring either elite level play or character to the lockerroom. Everyone in between is expendable, especially if they are willing to seriously consider bolting for the KHL on his after one ok season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

We have no need for complimentary pieces right now. Especially not ones that dont jive with the coach or management. 

We need young guys who bring either elite level play or character to the lockerroom. Everyone in between is expendable, especially if they are willing to seriously consider bolting for the KHL on his after one ok season.

We have no need for complimentary pieces? And why is that? 

Athanasiou has shown flashes of elite level play (don't mistake this as me saying he's elite). So why so quick to give up on him? Because his agent is trying to use the KHL as leverage to get a deal done? AA isn't going anywhere. Holland just needs to smarten the f*** up and work out something to get him signed.

So with that logic, we should keep Zetterberg, Nielsen, (Mantha?), (Larkin?), Abdelkader, Helm, Glendening, Kronwall and Daley, and get rid of everyone else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

So with that logic, we should keep Zetterberg, Nielsen, (Mantha?), (Larkin?), Abdelkader, Helm, Glendening, Kronwall and Daley, and get rid of everyone else?

lol, haven't been paying much attention, as of late, and was like...  who the f*** is Daley?? 

had to check it out to member

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Rivalred said:

The organization created this problem, now question is how are they going to fix it. 

We've waited for a "fix" the last decade what makes you think they'll do anything at all. Hell half the guys on this site are happy about the Tatar signing and letting AA walk and remaining stagnant is what KH does best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MileHighWingsGuy said:

We've waited for a "fix" the last decade what makes you think they'll do anything at all. Hell half the guys on this site are happy about the Tatar signing and letting AA walk and remaining stagnant is what KH does best.

I would argue 90% of the people on this site are happy with the Tatar signing, and about 1% happy are happy if AA walk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MileHighWingsGuy said:

We've waited for a "fix" the last decade what makes you think they'll do anything at all. Hell half the guys on this site are happy about the Tatar signing and letting AA walk and remaining stagnant is what KH does best.

Tatar is a good player and he's in his prime.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, kliq said:

I would argue 90% of the people on this site are happy with the Tatar signing, and about 1% happy are happy if AA walk.

I like the Tatar signing.

 

Howard, Weiss, Nyquist, Abdelkader, Nielsen, Daley = No.  These are all bad moves for a team that needs to get bigger, faster, tougher.  

Tatar doesnt really help in those aspects either, but the excitement level and energy he brings make him the one small guy I like on our squad.  Nyauist doesnt bug me too much either, but Tatar is enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I like the Tatar signing.

 

Howard, Weiss, Nyquist, Abdelkader, Nielsen, Daley = No.  These are all bad moves for a team that needs to get bigger, faster, tougher.  

Tatar doesnt really help in those aspects either, but the excitement level and energy he brings make him the one small guy I like on our squad.  Nyauist doesnt bug me too much either, but Tatar is enough.

Ah yes we have a guy here who wants to pay Tatar $5 million + for "excitement level and energy"

Same guy that complains about Holland irrational favoring of vets. 

Lmfao.

Edited by kickazz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I like the Tatar signing.

 

Howard, Weiss, Nyquist, Abdelkader, Nielsen, Daley = No.  These are all bad moves for a team that needs to get bigger, faster, tougher.  

Tatar doesnt really help in those aspects either, but the excitement level and energy he brings make him the one small guy I like on our squad.  Nyauist doesnt bug me too much either, but Tatar is enough.

I wouldn't be so worried about the Tatar signing (though I still think he's overpaid) if we had moved Nyquist and signed AA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MileHighWingsGuy said:

I wouldn't be so worried about the Tatar signing (though I still think he's overpaid) if we had moved Nyquist and signed AA.

I agree.

9 hours ago, kickazz said:

Ah yes we have a guy here who wants to pay Tatar $5 million + for "excitement level and energy"

Same guy that complains about Holland irrational favoring of vets. 

Lmfao.

I dont really do the vet thing much.  It's more player driven for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If trades are made, the organization is going to have to retain a portion of the salary. There is no way other teams are going to take on the players and the contracts that you along with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Son of a Wing said:

Connor Brown just signed a 3 year deal for 2.1/season so that should help the process with AA. He's the same age with similar stats. 20 goals and was actually one of their leading penalty killers 

Are we waiting for similar talent contract for comparison guidelines or for Kenny to free up salary cap space?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well if he's signing a contract for that amount we can sign him now and figure it out later after camp and injuries. That's my understanding.

I get the impression through what I've read that he and his agent are asking for 3+/year but that's really just a guess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KH should try to move She (Pens could use him as a 3rd line center)... I guess/hope that we can get at least a 2nd rounder (they overpaid for Reaves maybe KH can do some work)... with moving She we should have enough money for AA.

 

Mantha - Z - Tatar

Larkin - Nielsen/AA - Nyquist

Abdelkader - AA/Nielsen - Baby Bert

Helm - LG - Kwitowski

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Son of a Wing is right, that the Connor Brown contract is a very good comparable. I still think it should be somewhere around $2-2.25M for 2-3 years, only because he's an RFA and has very little leverage (other than the supposed KHL offer). Otherwise, I wouldn't have any problem with a $3M x 3 years contract, as I think he would outperform it, if not next year, definitely in years 2 and 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I think Son of a Wing is right, that the Connor Brown contract is a very good comparable. I still think it should be somewhere around $2-2.25M for 2-3 years, only because he's an RFA and has very little leverage (other than the supposed KHL offer). Otherwise, I wouldn't have any problem with a $3M x 3 years contract, as I think he would outperform it, if not next year, definitely in years 2 and 3.

This is how I feel.  The guy showed he could pick corners last year with his wrist shot and slap shot.  Only he and Mantha were getting to the circles and scoring consistently.  Give AA 20 mins a night and some pp time, I think he outperforms Tatar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now