• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TheXym

TSN article calls the OMG line worst in the NHL.

Rate this topic

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/the-good-the-bad-and-the-scary-a-look-at-the-nhl-s-best-and-worst-lines

The article includes some pretty bleak statistical evidence.  While I don't believe the stats necessarily tell the whole story 100% of the time, it is hard to dispute it.  Thoughts?

An excerpt:

SCARY BAD

Luke Glendening - Drew Miller - Steve Ott

TOI Together: 40 minutes

Relative Corsi: -14.7 percent, -29.8 shot attempts per 60

Almost every team has that one guy who drags the team down, but Detroit has taken that even further with its fourth line this year. Instead of just one guy, they’ve got three. Say hello to the OMG Line.

“The OMG Line?” you may ask. It’s the acronym for the guys that are on it and it also perfectly describes their play. For example, “OMG why can’t we get the puck out of our zone.” Or “OMG we waived two promising young players for this.” Or “OMG why did you do that. Or “OMG that shift was a disaster.” Or “OMG seriously how is the puck still in our zone.” But mostly it’s “OMG why are all three of these guys on the ice together at the same time.” The name is extremely versatile in describing their ability.

Edited by TheXym
Added excerpt

10 minutes ago, Wingnut1989 said:

I think the "OMG line" has been better then any 4th line we've had in a while.

Tho the other night in boston it was probably the "Owww! my groin" line.

This 4th line has been terrible.  They get pinned into their own zone and cannot create offense all the while giving up shots.  Only guy on that line worth keeping is Glendenning. 

"Best 4th line in the NHL" :lol:

And the source isn't even Winging it in Motown!

"On their first night together they didn’t disappoint, going -13 in shot attempts in just six minutes of five-on-five ice time."

Like holy s*** man how do you even allow 13 shots in 6 minutes?!?!?

There are fans who will still try to justify that 13 shots in 6 minutes is okay because this line can block shots. If Scott Bowman was still around he'd smack the crap out of these guys for allowing so many shots. 

Edited by kickazz

On paper, we probably have the worst first and fourth line in the NHL.  I'd say the second and third lines are near the bottom of the league. The defense has to be the worst in the league as far as the first and second pairing goes.  Hard to believe this team has won 6 games this season.  

I don't know what all this Corsica s*** is (that's where Napoleon is from), but I'm not surprised the 4th line is last in the league in efficiency.  

Ya, as much as I hated to lose Frk and Pulk, we are now not the only ones to waive them. Holland actually has(d) the chance to pick them up and keep them in GR.  If I am remembering the rules correctly.

I don't think the line is horrible, but it's no grindline. I still like the Ott signing. They are by far not the reason we aren't as good as we can be.

24 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

But but but..... Miller and G Money are the bestest ok guys EVER and Ott is awesome because he pisses guys off!

But what promising young players were waived for them? I just saw Callahan Frk and Pulk.

Lol. frk and pulk both have now been waived by the teams that claimed them. but I guess if you say they're that good... they must be 

Not a surprise, can´t remember last time I saw such a horrible matchups..  Playing PK during ES, c´mon. Ott + Miller are no NHL players at all, saying it for the second time. 

Would like to hear Blashill´s real opinion. I mean real opinion, not these uniform statements about filling gaps, adding grit blablabla... 

He should realize it´s also his future reputation what he´s building right now. 

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

We're a max-cap team with the worst D group in the league, no superstars, and Steve Ott-Luke Glendening-Drew Miller as our fourth line.

God help us.

How is that even possible?  I've never done that as GM on any video game.  

Not that I like the line - would have preferred one  of our young prospects over one or both of Miller and Ott and when Vanek's healthy Sheahan should replace one of them - but it doesn't seem to make sense if they're the worst line in the league that Glen is 3rd on the team with +3, Ott is +2 and Miller's even. These are our PKers and they get the hard Defensive assignments, yet they're still plus players despite not scoring much themselves. That tells me that being vastly outshot isn't translating to goals and they've been successful in defensive aspects. The article should have been titled "worst possession line" - Though it's obviously a useful stat, I think it's a bit of a jump to say corsi rating = a player's value. Corsi counts blocked shots which they have done well at and I think they've been pretty good at keeping teams the outside and limiting quality chances.

P.S. Looked on on another site and our corsi teamwide is the worst in the league! Maybe our game plan is something akin to rope-a-dope, haha.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk